Jessica's Reviews > Chime

Chime by Franny Billingsley

Feb 29, 12

Read in February, 2012

Exquisitely written, with some passages so striking that I would pause to reread them aloud, this book has everything I love in a book. Mythology blending with history, richly atmospheric setting, strong characterizations, complex internal life, even an unreliable narrator. Mix in romance, mystery, environmental and feminist themes, and the supernatural. And yet... I didn't love it. At times, I barely liked it. I found myself not wanting to pick it up, looking for other distractions rather than reading, forcing myself just to get through it. Then the language would sweep me away, but only for a short time. Then I would grown impatient with the characters, the meandering plot that kept circling back upon itself, the dribble of clues that would eventually lead to a "surprising" conclusion. I would have liked to be surprised, to have felt wonder at the gradual realizations, instead I just felt relief that these fairly dull characters had finally figured themselves out. Perhaps I should have been more frustrated with the author who over-hinted. Or I should be more forgiving because most young readers will miss most of the subtleties and they need the repetition to bring them to that ending. I so wanted to love it more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chime.