Jax's Reviews > The Notorious Dr. August: His Real Life and Crimes

The Notorious Dr. August by Christopher Bram

Apr 11, 14

bookshelves: 2009
Read in April, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Hmm. This book was interesting. While the story was engaging, I felt that it was too choppy. We go from being homeless during the Civil War to a brothel in New York City to a bunch of different locations in Europe to a palace in the Middle East. Like, it just jumped around. It was hard to remember where the characters were. I also felt that Alice's life just seemed so horrible and without any joy. I would have liked to have seen her have some sort of normal life, especially after we learn that Isaac was remarried. And as for Augustus' "spirits." They didn't really have any purpose to the story; I almost feel like they were put in as an afterthought in order to make things a tad more exciting. Plus, the pedophile angle did not make me want to side with him. Also, I didn't understand why Isaac would be so upset about Augustus and the boy, meanwhile he engaged in the same activity! All in all, an interesting story but not my favorite by any means.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Notorious Dr. August.