Tracy's Reviews > The Lost Dog

The Lost Dog by Michelle de Kretser

Aug 03, 08

bookshelves: kindle, ebook
Read in August, 2008

I have some really mixed feelings about this book.

Parts of it were wonderful, engrossing - I'd get caught up in a line of story and enjoy the trip to the end.

The problem was, many of them didn't mesh. Things were often unclear. Some of the lines were - awful. Lines like 'the sweat and spice of her spoor' made me cringe. I don't even want to get started on the annoying tendency (so very modern, no?) to focus on human waste. It comes across as trying to be edgy and raw and instead is predictable and annoying.

And yet, the story of Atwood walking into the ocean - that was well done. Tom's childhood, his father - I loved those. Young Iris was interesting.

The relationship between Iris and Tom ultimately failed for me. I got no real feeling that they were mother and son, no sense of history - which is particularly sad in a book that kept trying to tell their story of each other.

Tom's relationship with Nelly was singularly lacking. It never worked. The only relationship that felt even remotely real was the hints of what it was like with Karen, and, of course, the dog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Dog.