Sara's Reviews > Hemlock

Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock

Feb 29, 2012

it was ok

What excited me most about the prospect of Hemlock was the focus on the relationship between best friends Mac and Amy. Even with Amy being dead I was looking forward to reading about Mac dealing with her loss and the shock of finding out secrets about someone who was supposed to be her best friend and confidant. If you have ever read Jessica Verday's Hollow trilogy you could I say I was expecting a relationship like the one between Abbey and Kristin. However, the friendship between Mac and Amy just didn't feel real to me. I felt like I was just reading about them being friends instead of actually feeling it and I don't think it was conveyed well. It was too forced. Not to mention the fact that Amy was a total bitch, well, her “ghost” was. If an author wants you to mourn for a character that you have never met she should be more likeable! So right from the start I didn't care about Amy, and Amy was the reason for the story.
Ugh. Jason and Kyle, Kyle and Jason. I didn't care about either of them either. They seemed interchangeable to me. Yeah, yeah, one wasn't a werewolf but both were wealthy, good looking, and (surprise) secretly in love with Mac. Mac was blah. Another blah female lead who is oblivious to the feelings of those around her. Blah. And can I point out that Alexis, Serena AND Tessa were all outspoken girls who wore bright colors? Can I get some variety please?
All in all these wasn't the worst read but I definitely won't be rushing out to buy the sequel. It's ridiculous there even is a sequel. Everything could have been wrapped up in this book and it would have been a lovely stand alone novel. But no. The author has to write a sequel which from the epilogue is going to be about Mac and Jason going to Colorado to find Kyle, can you smell a love triangle? I can. I bought a batch of new books and saved this one for last because of all of the awesome reviews but I'm disappointed. If you are looking for a good read this month try Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hemlock.