Maddi Sojourner's Reviews > Steve Jobs

Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson

Jun 16, 12

bookshelves: to-read, book-club, biography
Read in June, 2012

Four and a half stars. I'm only withholding the last half for failure to transcend the biography genre. I don't give out five stars very often, and I don't read a lot of biographies, either.

This is an excellent biography about a fascinating man, set against the history of the place I live, Silicon Valley. I had a lot of difficulty putting it down.

Part of what made the book work is the amazing access Isaacson had to Jobs, his family, and his former and current associates, colleagues, and friends (if someone like Jobs managed to cultivate any friends). There's a marvelous balance between the history, the business dealings, the personalities, and the gossipy stuff. Most of the little snippets I'd read about Jobs in the past managed to work their way into this book (including the time he attacked all the Apple employees who weren't working on his pet project for not being A quality employees).

I once came within 45 minutes of being hired by Apple. One of the various hiring freezes was slammed down before the VP whose signature was required had picked up the hiring letter (and he had been traveling for two days beforehand, sigh). I wonder what my take on this book would have been had I actually been an Apple employee, and I look forward to reading reviews from those who were or are. I suppose I'd also be a little bet more well-off had that come to pass.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steve Jobs.