Kevin M's Reviews > Sleeping in Flame

Sleeping in Flame by Jonathan Carroll

Mar 31, 12

bookshelves: favorites, sci-fi-fantasy
Read from February 29 to March 10, 2012

While this is a book review, it doubles as a happy anecdote for you lovely people.

I signed onto goodreads a day or so after Neil Gaiman, author of American Gods and the Sandman series, posted an article from his blog entitled: "Who is Jonathan Carroll and why should you care?"

Find the link here: http://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_...

It was a few weeks after I read American Gods when I read this article. I thoroughly enjoyed Gaiman's work, so I started to follow him on goodreads. This blog post is well written. But I wouldn't say it inspired me go out and buy a Jonathan Carroll book. It happened to be that I was killing time in a very small - but amazing - used book store in Ottawa, Ontario. There was nothing I was willing to invest time or money in. I am in my fourth year of an English undergrad - I have lots of reading to do as it is!

I was on my way out when a book from the bins outside the store caught my eye. It was a soft cover novel - this novel - that caught my eye. "Sleeping in Flame" for $1.99 at All Books. Usually, I wouldn't take a second glance at the crates of bargin books. I mean, come on, it was beside Botany for Dummies for Christ's sake!

But I opened it. The first page was well written. I decided to buy it. I put $1.99 on debit for this book. I walked to the Wine Rack thinking, I'm never going to read this book. It's going to sit on my shelf and rot.

But I was wrong. I started the book that night. I had zero expectations for it. Before I knew it, I was 65 pages in! Listen, when I say the first page is well written, what I mean is, it's because of Jonathan Carroll that I understand what a "lyrical author" is and how soothing he/she writes. He's poetic without being cheesy. I want you to read this book. I am man - with very little interest in romance novels (which it is, only in part) - and I must confess, I love this book! I love Vienna; I love Maris York; I love this genre of magical-realism. Gaiman is right, Carroll is a changer; he is special.

Read this book. Read all his books. I am going to join you. I am a university student that says, "Yes! Go out and find his books. Buy them at full price! They are worth it!"
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sleeping in Flame.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Coates You've convinced me!