Ana T.'s Reviews > The Surgeon

The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen

Mar 10, 12

bookshelves: contemporary, mysteries-thrillers, read-in-2012
Read in February, 2012

Another author that had been recommended to me repeatedly in the past, Tess Gerritsen has written several medical thrillers. This is the first book in the Jane Rizzoli / Maura Isles series and I suppose what made me grab it now was the fact that I caught a few episodes of the Rizzoli isles series on TV and got curious. The books seem totally different from that show but in the end that maybe just be a good thing!

Jane Rizzoli is the only female cop in the Homicides Unit. She works hard to be accepted by her colleagues, not always successfully, and she keeps her distance from all of them, including her partner, Moore. Then they are both called to a homicide scene of a particularly horrifying murder, a murder that maybe be a copy cat of crimes that happened a few years before.

As this is a medical thriller the authors describes the crimes in great detail, some details are truly chilling but I do like these type of story very much. Despite the book blurb seeming more about Moore and Cordell's relationship I thought it was a lot more about Rizzoli and Moore and the killer. Rizzoli comes across as a particularly hardened character, not that she doesn't have her reasons, but it doesn't make her particularly attractive to the reader. Moore comes across a more sympathetic figure and if I hadn't read before that Gerritsen was planning to kill Rizzoli at first I would have had a hard time understanding how this is supposedly a book about her. She is a good character mind you, but always with a chip on her shoulder that sometimes interferes with her work, and is not given enough "screen" time to make it obvious that she is the main character.

Having said that this is a book I really enjoyed. There was almost a sort of cat and mouse game between killer and detectives. We follow the logic of the investigation, how they gather the clues, the forensic conclusions and the final chase after the criminal. With no holes in the plot, no easy solutions and a quick pace. Really well done I think and definitely the beginning of a series that looks promising. I can't wait to focus solely on Rizzoli and seeing Maura Isles appear on the scene!

Grade: 4.5/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Surgeon.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cláudia Gosto muito da série, já vai no 8º :)

Ana T. Eu gostei imenso deste, vou continuar a ler a série. Ainda bem que já há tantos :-)

Mas sabes uma coisa, tinha visto uns episódios da série Rizzoli & Isles na TV e achei que a descrição da personagem neste livro não tinha nada a ver com a da TV. :-s

Cláudia Ana T. wrote: "Eu gostei imenso deste, vou continuar a ler a série. Ainda bem que já há tantos :-)

A série da TV é uma palhaçada, não tem absolutamente nada a ver com os livros, só mesmo o nome das personagens! Tu esquece isso e lê os livros, são muito bons! :)

Ana T. LOL pronto! Vou fazer isso mesmo! ;-) Obrigada!

Ana T. Adivinha quem não resistiu a começar o The Apprentice??? ;-)

Cláudia :D Fizeste tu muito bem!!!