Micheline's Reviews > Crossed

Crossed by Ally Condie

Mar 05, 12

bookshelves: dystopian, magnetic-male, love-the-romance, young-adult, futuristic
Read from February 29 to March 05, 2012

'Crossed', is the second book in the 'Matched' trilogy and while I know many Matched fans were let down by this second installment, I personally found it just as good as it's predecessor. As it was with Matched, the cover is simple; yet insightful: Cassia is beginning to break through...

'Crossed' features dual narratives; while we keep Cassia's POV, every other chapter features Ky's. I thought this was done very well. Anyone who follows my reviews knows I love getting the boys perspective after the fact. Especially the way it was done in Crossed with both narratives intertwining together. It added depth, suspense and added insight into Ky's character. This played a huge part in my overall impression of the book, and it's subsequent rating. Girls can usually relate to how the girl is feeling, but like with the forbidden excerpt from Midnight Sun, it's always much more interesting from the boy's perspective ♥ ...once you already know the girls side of it, to see how they fit together. And in the case of Crossed, much of Ky's chapters involve flashbacks of some kind. Of his childhood, of his memories in The Society, of Cassia. So you get to relive their romance in little bits through his memories while getting to know in a way that would have been impossible if Crossed had only featured Cassia's POV. I thought it was very well done...even so it was sometimes frustrating to have to switch narratives right when the story got interesting ;) It certainly stopped me from putting the book down one more than one occasion!

On of the ongoing highlights for me throughout this series has to be Cassia's ongoing transformation. She's stayed true to her inherent nature in all the ways that count, but she has really begun to break out of the control & oppression that 'The Society' has been delving out for far too long. She's become brave, resourceful and a little unpredictable but never really reckless or stupid. She knows things need to change, and she's willing to do whatever it takes to make those changes happen. I was so impressed by her evolution in Matched and I continue to be impressed by her in Crossed. Ally Condie has developed Cassia and the rest of the characters in this world very consistently; in a believable and real way. It's so easy to relate to them and to feel for them. It's definitely one of the strong points of this series.

As with Matched, Crossed is about words, and their power to evoke, to move, to change and to create. Creation did not exist within The Society, but somehow it has survived all this time and it gives people hope; it helps the hang on and moves them forward. Ally Condie has a simple style that is still poetic and evocative just as it was in Matched. I can't wait to see how everything is going to play out with 'Reached' and I can't believe we have to wait till NOVEMBER to know how it all ends!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossed.

03/03/2012 page 119
32.0% "LOVING the dual narratives ♥"
03/04/2012 page 256
70.0% "''I fought because I found peace in Cassia. Because I knew I could find rest in her touch that somehow both burned me up and washed me clean.''"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lyndz Great review! I enjoyed the double narrative as well.

Micheline Thanks Lyndz_♥

message 3: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn I am so happy to have found someone who like the second book to this series! Everybody has been saying that it didn't live up to the first one! Great review. =D

Micheline Hahahah Thanks Kathryn and I agree...almost every fan of 'Matched' seems to be let down by 'Crossed', I really enjoyed it and I'm glad you did too :) Aren't you excited to see how it all ends up in 'Reached'? November seems so far!

message 5: by Michele (new) - added it

Michele Dennis I liked your review!! I just finished Matched and am starting Crossed! I like the premise of the triliogy! Its interesting to me. And like you said, its good to see the guys point of you. To let the reader know what is going on in his mind!! I am excited to get started on the second book!!

message 6: by Michele (new) - added it

Michele Dennis *view. I meant the guys point of view!! Typing error...lol

Micheline Thank you Michele, and I agree with you on the premise and the guy's POV! I hope you enjoy Crossed as much as I did; I know some people were a bit letdown but I felt it was just as good as Matched.

Marian Finally a positive review!