Old_airman's Reviews > The Surgeon

The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen

Mar 06, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from March 02 to 05, 2012

Maura Isles is totally missing. Jane Rizzoli is so much different than the TV show. I am a fan of the TV show so I decided to start with book #1. I was not disappointed in the book, but it was a bit of a shock to see Rizzoli as a homely, outsider fighting for her what was due her. The development of the characters was outstanding. The focus upon the impact on the lives of victims was fleshed out more than in any other crime novel that I have read. The surgical element was a bit overdeveloped for my taste, but I am one of those folks who doesn't like blood and gore. All in all, this makes a nice read and opens up the series to many diverse paths.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Surgeon.

03/05/2012
50.0% "Not much like the TV show yet. Good story with a lot of twists and turns."
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-10)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 10: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary I agree, O was shocked to see that Rizzoli isn't really that much of this book. And, she certainly isn't respected like Rizzoli on the show! However, the book is well written and I like it.

Sallie I read the books first and find them so much better than the show.

Mary I love the show and the books!

message 7: by Joannine (new) - added it

Joannine I love both the show and the books.....Kind of a double fix of R&I keep reading the series and Jane grows and earns the respect she has in the TV show....the books let you understand how she became so respected

Mary Joannine wrote: "I love both the show and the books.....Kind of a double fix of R&I keep reading the series and Jane grows and earns the respect she has in the TV show....the books let you understand how she became..."
Good point! The books are great--I am just finishing up Ice Cold and all of them have built nicely on each other.

message 5: by Joannine (new) - added it

Joannine I have just started the new R&I Last to Die.... I am having a hard time putting it down at night

Renita i agree with you review. i like the differences between the show and book.

message 3: by Eva (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eva Smith American television doesn't allow its main female characters to be ugly or plain.

Vanetta Bellows I love both thd TV series and the books. I have read all of the books featuring Rizzoli & Isles.

message 1: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa I am a huge fan of the show. I bought my first book-and anxious to read it. I love your review. I don't care for blood and gore either and was worried about it but glad to see it doesn't take away from it being a good book. I had no idea Maura wasn't in the books and that Jane is homely.