Hot Stuff Book Reviews's Reviews > Being Friends with Boys

Being Friends with Boys by Terra Elan McVoy

May 28, 12

bookshelves: contemporary, english, young-adult, music
Read from May 17 to 18, 2012

More like 3.5 stars.

This book is a stand alone novel that is mainly focused on the main characters' relationships with her friends and family. This book is also about music.

I wanted to read this book just because music is quite a big part of the novel. It creates this atmosphere in which I was pleased to imagine all the characters. But, even if I love when there's a music related plot, it doesn't mean I always love what I'm reading.

Here, I enjoyed this book even if I was a little disappointed that the author didn't dig more about the main character's parents issues. I mean, there is something here that could have brought a little more than just boys and friends drama.

But, it was fun to read how she struggles between her band, her boys friends and how to handle everything. Should it be that long though? I'm not so sure. I understand where and why the author made those choices, but somehow sometimes I was a little out of the story, wanting to shake the main character to bring some senses inside her stubborn head.

I really like Trip even if I would have loved to see him more. Maybe more "drama" between him and the main character instead of this silent treatment that forces the reader to nearly forget about him.
Benji cracked me up many times. He brings a fresh touch quite welcomed even if somehow his role stays quite in the fog when you think about it afterward.

Also, the Fabian issue is just a good thing. I enjoyed to read about it and even smiled sweetly a couple of times.

I won't list all the characters, but you get the idea. It's a really good book but not a must read for me. As I find it entertaining and a good read to relax, I'm not sure to remember about it in several months. It's cute, that's all.

So, if you want to read a young-adult contemporary book with band drama, boys dramas and a true voice, you should read this book. Don't expect too much and you shouldn't be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Being Friends with Boys.

05/17/2012 "I hope the characters are not too cliché."
05/17/2012
45.0% "I love it when there's music in ya books. It's great so far."