Penny Raspenny's Reviews > Wool

Wool by Hugh Howey

Mar 14, 12

bookshelves: favorites, dystopian
Recommended to Penny by: GoodReads
Recommended for: dystopian lovers or lazy readers (it's pretty small)
Read on March 01, 2012

Amazing

I'm lost for words...

Photobucket

This was good!

After Hunger Games and Uglies, I thought I'd never find a good dystopian book (no ladies and gentlemen, Divergent didn't make it up there). Yet I stumbled upon this one (thanks to GR friends of mine that I saw had given good ratings).

We saw a dystopian world, a scared terrified crowd, a manipulative goverment and a great an everlasting love. A love I might add that we saw from the end. I mean, it was already there when we started reading, we never saw it being born, yet it was not at all less powerful. We were provided with every detail of the emotional state of the MC and the journey that lead him there, all being presented exactly right.

The writing was very good and in every step of the way you were taking the path the author wanted you to. Like inception, he planted the idea and you just followed. You never knew more or less than what he wanted you to know. I was carried away actually feeling and thinking whatever he intended for me to feel and think. I applaud!

I do have some questions about the world building but it never bothered me while reading the book. Things just were like that, period. Only now, after finishing it do I think of them. Yet I cannot imagine what could be happening in the second book...

It's not long, actually like a mini story so read it. I mean it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wool.

03/01/2012 ""He walked through that place of ghostly struggle where bad memories lay eternal, that scene of sudden madness, and entered his office.". So poetic! =)"
03/01/2012 "End of chapter 3. Things have cleared out. I was a little confused at the beginning but now...where is Alison? I don't buy the shit that she is dead. description No. No way."
03/01/2012
50.0% "Ready to go out Holston."
03/01/2012
50.0% ""You and I know something new, and now it all makes sense. It makes perfect sense. And tomorrow I'll know for sure" Allison smiled. She patted Holston's hand as if he were a child. "And one day, my love, you will know it too." description"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cameron Mascari How did you not like Divergent, one of my favorites. But I like your review regardless.

Penny Raspenny Thank you very much. I didn't like Divergent because it just didn't make sense to me. I'm not saying there weren't times that I enjoyed it, but the whole plot and especially the MC just weren't "enough" for me.

Cameron Mascari Fair enough, although I loved the book. Funny how people can totally see eye to eye on one book and think polar opposite about the other. It's an interesting thing about reading. Take care :)

Penny Raspenny Interesting indeed. Thanks for sharing :)