Danica Page (One Page at a Time)'s Reviews > The Exceptionals

The Exceptionals by Erin Cashman

This is a condensed version of my review. To see the expanded version, please visit this link.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: First off, let me thank Tara and Lisa for setting up the 2012 Debut Author Challenge Book Tours. Without them, I wouldn't have got to read this novel. So thanks again!

The moment I started reading this novel, I was absolutely enthralled. As soon as I read the first page, I knew that this was a book that was going to occupy my thoughts until I finished it.

I love this genre. Ever since I read Harry Potter and the somewhat Harry Potter-esque Charlie Bone series, I've loved series that centered around special/magical people who live in a boarding school.

However, having said that, Cashman's novel was very original and didn't feel like a knock-off of Harry Potter. If it had, I wouldn't have enjoyed this nearly as much. In this book people have "specials" or one magical ability. This is a concept that I have also loved.

To turn my attention to the characters, I loved Claire. She was a character that felt real and one that I could relate to and understand. I loved watching her grow and progress throughout the novel.

And as for Dylan, I loved loved this character. However, I'm a succor for the mysterious boy who people warn you to stay away from angle. Dylan was a guy that I absolutely loved reading about. Dylan is definitely one who's making my crush list that's for sure.

In Summary: Overall, this novel was really well-written, very interesting, and a delightful read that has left me anxious to read the sequel. Very well done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Exceptionals.

02/29/2012 page 130
55.0% "So far I'm really liking this one."