Wendy's Reviews > White Girl Problems

White Girl Problems by Babe Walker

May 28, 13

bookshelves: chick-lit, humor, memoirs
Read in March, 2012 — I own a copy

UPDATE: Okay, I've read this book now. It was hilarious, and that's coming from someone who didn't like the main character all that much.

The story focuses on the "life experiences" (if we can even call them that) of the author. I'm not entirely sure what anyone would classify this book, because it blurs the line between fiction and reality. The people that are discussed in the book are actually real people, but who knows exactly how truthful the stories told about them are. Some of the stories are just so outlandish that you really wonder how deeply rooted in fact they are. But anyway, the main character (who is the author and writing her "memoirs from shopping rehab") is the daughter of a wealthy and influential lawyer in Los Angeles. She's in her 20s, has no responsibilities, no job, bounced around five different colleges before deciding to drop out and spends a lot of her time with her coke-addicted BFF Gen and her gay best friend Roman (whom she incidentally lost her virginity to).

Despite my feelings about her character and how it illustrates everything that is wrong with society, her one-liners are hilarious. The stories that she tells are enjoyable and it was a good mindless read for Spring Break.

Haven't started this book, but I had to buy it because of the chapter titles.

Here is a sampling of them:
If I like him, he's probably gay.
My vagina is bullshit.
My major in college was picking my major, with a minor in being really bored.
My first trip to jail was not nearly as fun as I thought it would be. Super cute mugshot though.
Sorry for texting you 93 times last night.
It's 5:15. How much weight can I lose by 8:00?
I need a therapist to talk about the problems I'm having with my therapist.
Every job I've ever had is the worst job I've ever had.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Girl Problems.

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin Sounds cute! Let me know how it is!

message 2: by Elyse (new)

Elyse Me too!