Leslie's Reviews > Rock Me

Rock Me by Cherrie Lynn

Feb 29, 2012

Read from April 19 to 22, 2012

I gave this story four stars not because it was sexy as all get out, or because the hero, "Brian" was a "tatted-up" alpha-male, I gave it four stars because this well written story earned them. I read several reviews after I finished this book, and a lot of people loved Brian, but more of them really disliked the heroine, Candace. I have to say, I was actually quite surprised by this.

Let me explain why: Candace and Brian came from affluent familes, although Brian had become somewhat of a black-sheep; due to his personal preferences on his outward appearence. Let's face it, tattoos, aren't necessarily "taboo" any longer, but visible body piercings haven't entirely found their place in the "acceptable" concensus. That being said, I admired Brian for his "make no apologies" appearance and I thought he was adorable! Candace, on the otherhand, was controlled by her parents' need for good social position and also their need for her to find the right "kind" of perfect man. To say nothing of the overwhemlingly sheltered life she was forced to live and the fact that she was a 23 year old a virgin. Candace understandably waffled back and forth with the knowledge that she loved Brian, but also, not wanting to disappoint her parents - being with someone who might embarrass them. When Candace took some time away from Brian so she could think, I cannot tell you how much I admired her strength in taking that step back; if nothing else than to be sure that Brian wasn't some kind of rebellion against her parents. I've known many women who would no more give themselves a well-timed "selfish" break; but would blindly dive-in head first and become co-dependent as soon as "any" man proclaimed their undying love!! This story wasn't a light, airy read, it was heavy in places where it needed to be, which in my opinion, made it much more believeable.

I've come to the understanding in life that if you stay in a relationship or decide to get out, you must earn it- either way. Having regret is the worst way to live a life; making sure it's the right choice, equals happiness forever...

Thank you to my GR friend, Daphne, for the loan! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rock Me.

07/02/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-41)

dateUp arrow    newest »

✿Alyssa✿ LOVE LOVE LOVE this book! :)

Leslie I'm reading it now, Alyssa!! :)

Daphne It is good it kinda sorta a bit like Beautiful D. The male character's are pretty similar. Check out my review and see the guy that I have a link to. He is quite a bit of eye candy.

Leslie Sounds yummy! I will and thanks again for the loan, girl!! :)

Daphne No worries, glad I had something that you haven't read..you prolific girl you!

✿Alyssa✿ Ahhh! I'm so happy that you're reading this one Leslie! ...remember: Brian is MINE! :)

Leslie Hee, hee, Alyssa...I'll try to remember that...but no guarantees, girl! Wink, wink...

✿Alyssa✿ 4 STARS? I'll take it! ...I'm so glad you liked this one Leslie! Remember though: BRIAN IS MINE!

message 33: by ~ Becs ~ (new) - added it

~ Becs ~ Looks good Leslie - I may read this one but I will remember that BRIAN IS ALYSSA'S ;-)

Kelly This is a series I've been wanting to read for awhile, Leslie. Glad you like this one :)

✿Alyssa✿ Becs wrote: "Looks good Leslie - I may read this one but I will remember that BRIAN IS ALYSSA'S ;-)"

LOL- Becs, you're going to want Brian all for yourself once you read this book! It's one of my absolute favorite books EVER! You should definitely give it a try!

message 30: by ~ Becs ~ (new) - added it

~ Becs ~ I think I will - I need to recover from the book I read earlier with something deeply romantic.

✿Alyssa✿ This one is definitely a quick and easy read, and Brian is definitely drool-worthy! *sigh*

What book did you read earlier?

message 28: by ~ Becs ~ (last edited Apr 22, 2012 12:12PM) (new) - added it

~ Becs ~ Hostile Takeover (Knights of the Board Room, #5) by Joey W. Hill

I didn't actually hate it and I worship at the altar that is Joey Hill but Ben the hero left me cold.

message 27: by ✿Alyssa✿ (last edited Apr 22, 2012 12:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

✿Alyssa✿ Wow! That book actually sounds really good! ...unless it was sex, sex, and more sex. I tend to stay away from the erotica genre for that reason alone, only because I tend to get a bit bored when the book focuses more on sex, and less on the story line. Ben sounds like my type of man: one thing you should know about me... I'm a BIG fan of jerk heroes! *sigh* ...they're my favorite- the more they shy away from commitment, the more I love them. While reading the synopsis, these things really pulled me in:

"The sharp-edged lawyer knows he’s the most hardcore of them all, with extreme tastes as a Master he satisfies physically through experienced club submissives. He doesn’t really need anything more." ...the most hardcore of them all? Doesn't need anything more than physical love? Drooling right now.

"Marcie has loved Ben since she was sixteen. He’s never behaved as anything more than a protective big brother, a family friend. But now she’s twenty-three and starting her career as a corporate investigator." ...the fact that she's always been in love with him, and he just acts like the protective big brother, is one of my favorite themes in my romance novels, hehe. I LOVE PROTECTIVE ALPHAS!

...I think you may have just sold me on this book Becs! :)

Leslie You GO, Becs!! Alyssa, you CRACK me up, girl!!

message 25: by ~ Becs ~ (new) - added it

~ Becs ~ LOL - Ben is definitely a jerk, commitment shy and all 5 of the 'Knights' are really protective. The book is BDSM with a lot of 'back door lovin' and it's no 5 in a series but it could be read as a stand alone.

If you've not read Joey Hill before, she is very much an erotic writer but she combines it with deeply intense and emotional stories.

message 24: by ✿Alyssa✿ (last edited Apr 22, 2012 12:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

✿Alyssa✿ LOL- you know I always like to make you laugh Leslie!

Becs- I've never read anything by Joey Hill before, but I think I'll start with this one! I LOVE PROTECTIVE HEROES. ...oh, and emotionally intense and deep stories too! I plan on buying this one very soon! :)

Leslie Becs, Alyssa...I wrote a review here! Uh...hello?? (Giggling.)

message 22: by ✿Alyssa✿ (last edited Apr 22, 2012 12:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

✿Alyssa✿ YAY- I just read it! ...what a wonderful review Leslie! I'm SUPER happy that you ended up really liking this one! I know a lot of people had a hard time liking Candace at times, and I can see why! For some reason though, she is one of my favorite heroine's... but of course, you know how much I love them to be sweet and innocent! :) *SQUUUEEEE* ...now I'll be able to vent about Brian with you, hehe.

Kelly Leslie, I noticed and liked your review. I think Alyssa and Becs kinda lost the thread a bit here. LOL! But that's OK...all part of the fun:) As USUAL you wrote a wonderful review, Leslie. You, Karla, Baba, and Lisa Kay ALWAYS manage to write the best reviews..and find time to read!!!

Leslie HA HA, Alyssa! Like I said in my review, I thought Candace was smart and took her relationship with Brian very seriously. If you don't have a little "waffling" the story isn't as sweet in the end, you know? Authors know this, but I'm surprised some seasoned readers haven't figured that out yet. Thanks for making me laugh, girl! You are precious!!

Leslie Hee, Kelly!! I think it's great when there's a good conversation going on these book reads/reviews! I was just razzin' Becs and Alyssa since they make me laugh so much! They're HOOTS! Oh, and thank you for your VERY kind words about my review! Wow! I enjoy writing reviews as much as I enjoy reading the books, I think! What makes it even sweeter are compliments like yours!! :)

message 18: by ~ Becs ~ (new) - added it

~ Becs ~ I am sorry for the threadnap Leslie. Great review and another one to add to my TBR mountain. :-)

Daphne Wonderful review, as always!! So glad that you enjoyed it!!

✿Alyssa✿ Leslie wrote: "HA HA, Alyssa! Like I said in my review, I thought Candace was smart and took her relationship with Brian very seriously. If you don't have a little "waffling" the story isn't as sweet in the end..."

I definitely agree with you there Leslie! The waffling between the hero and the heroine, definitely makes for a sweeter ending :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter S*it, I had problems to post my comment. So, here we go again...great review, Leslie! GR...annoying!!

Leslie Omg, Baba...I almost spit put my drink on that one!! Thank you, btw!!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Leslie wrote: "Omg, Baba...I almost spit put my drink on that one!! Thank you, btw!!"

LOL Gah! :-)

Kristen Great review, Leslie.

Leslie Thank you so much, Kristen! I liked this book more than I thought I would...and those are always the best kinds of books - ya know?

message 10: by Tesa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tesa Brian is sexy as all get out and I thought the heroine was really sweet. I only wish it had been longer.

Leslie I hear ya, Tesa! :)

Kelly Great review, Leslie!!!

Leslie Thank you, Kelly!!

Karla Great review Leslie. I didn't have issues with Candace either. I think the story was driven by her innocence, vulnerability, and her connection with Brian helped her overcome those issues, but also overwhelmed her. I don't even know what to say about Brian, except *swoon sigh faint*, he was delicious!

Leslie Thank you, Karla! Your description of Candace was a "nail on the head!" You're absoutely right! And, yes...Brian...whoa nelly, hot, hot, hot!! ;)

message 4: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Leslie i dont know if you have answered this question already but what do you mean by if you decide to get out you must earn it?

Leslie Hi Melissa,

I meant if you want to leave a relationship of any kind and do it without regret, you must exhaust every opportunity of saving it, (sans abuse or cheating).

Make sense?

message 2: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa thats what i thought just wanted to check. But i do agree with that and i have learned in my 25 years not every one knows this.

message 1: by Leslie (last edited Oct 30, 2012 10:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leslie Well, for already knowing that, Melissa, at your age is admirable!! I commend you for "getting it" early in life. It will serve you well and might even save you a "starter marriage" as some your age and younger consider their marriages.

Great chatting!! :)