mlady_rebecca's Reviews > The Phantom Tollbooth

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

One of my favorite childhood reads. We even did a musical based on it in elementary school.

"Numbers numbers numbers,
there's nothing like them anywhere.
Numbers numbers numbers,
without them we could not compare.
Numerals and digits,
Formulas, equations....."

That's all I remember.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Phantom Tollbooth.

Quotes mlady_rebecca Liked

Norton Juster
“Things which are equally bad are also equally good. Try to look at the bright side of things.
- Humbug”

Norton Juster
“You may not see it now," said the Princess of Pure Reason, looking knowingly at Milo's puzzled face, "but whatever we learn has a purpose and whatever we do affects everything and everyone else, if even in the tiniest way. Why, when a housefly flaps his wings, a breeze goes round the world; when a speck of dust falls to the ground, the entire planet weighs a little more; and when you stamp your foot, the earth moves slightly off its course. Whenever you laugh, gladness spreads like the ripples in the pond; and whenever you're sad, no one anywhere can be really happy. And it's much the same thing with knowledge, for whenever you learn something new, the whole world becomes that much richer.”

Norton Juster
“And remember, also," added the Princess of Sweet Rhyme, "that many places you would like to see are just off the map and many things you want to know are just out of sight or a little beyond your reach. But someday you'll reach them all, for what you learn today, for no reason at all, will help you discover all the wonderful secrets of tomorrow.”

Norton Juster
“It's bad enough wasting time without killing it.”

Norton Juster
“You can swim all day in the Sea of Knowledge and not get wet.”

Norton Juster
“So many things are possible as long as you don't know they're impossible.”

Norton Juster
“Let me try once more," Milo said in an effort to explain. "In other words--"
"You mean you have other words?" cried the bird happily. "Well, by all means, use them. You're certainly not doing very well with the ones you have now.”

05/05/2016 marked as: read