Karen Hanson's Reviews > The Varieties of Religious Experience

The Varieties of Religious Experience by William James

Feb 29, 12

bookshelves: didn-t-finish
I own a copy

To be honest I didn't finish this whole book. I began reading this while on my own religious journey and found it to be a great resource to understand the different feelings and experiences I had along the way. I sort of stopped and started this book as my journey progressed because it helped me to relate to the continuing evolving ideas that were put forth. I actually recommend reading the book this way as it's hard to relate to things like the "dark night of the soul" if you've never been through it. I believe I made it about 3/4 of the way through this book and I have a goal of eventually finishing it. I just haven't been as interested in the topic of religion as of late so I don't have the drive I once did to read it. I also think that I may not relate as closely to William James on his later writings as I've turned onto a slightly different path than he chose. This is a good, although somewhat dry & arduous resource for those wanting to learn about the common path of humans through religion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Varieties of Religious Experience.