Hina's Reviews > Gray Quinn's Baby

Gray Quinn's Baby by Susan Stephens

Mar 01, 12

bookshelves: 2012, harlequin-presents, setting-in-england, 1-star, authors-s-t-u, heroine-who-annoyed-me, hero-who-annoyed-me, reviewed
Recommended for: No One
Read on February 29, 2012

This is one of those rare times I wish that Goodreads allowed half ratings. I barely want to give this book a half star, let alone 1. It starts out well enough with the heroine, Magenta Steele working for her father’s advertising company that now has a new owner who she has never met. Magenta’s father wants her out of the office, so that the new owner, our hero, Gray Quinn can acclimate himself with the company and employees. On her way home, she encounters a sexy biker who she feels attracted to, but is shy and awkward around him.

Magenta decides to go back to work at night and work on their current project based on the 1960 theme and she decides to dress herself in the same time period. Magenta falls asleep at her desk only to wake up in the 1960s where she is not an accounting executive, but the secretary to her boss, Gray Quinn who looks like the biker she met. She realizes it’s a dream and tries to go along with it until she wakes up. As in the 60s, the women are not taken seriously and Magenta works hard to have the women’s opinion taken seriously. All the while, Gray and Magenta embark on an affair, which comes to the obvious conclusion that she is pregnant with Quinn’s baby only to wake up in the present in her office. It turns out that Gray Quinn and the biker are indeed the same person and they start dating and pretty much ends the same as the dream with Magenta pregnant and getting married.

There are so many things wrong with this book, I really don’t know how I finished. My biggest problem with the book was that more than 90% of the book was in Magenta’s dream, while only very little of the book was set in reality. The dream-like state is something I haven’t seen in a harlequin presents, but instead of being a novel idea it really crashed and burned. I think it would have been better if only the small amount of the book was about a dream like maybe a chapter, because I kept waiting for when she will wake up and the “real” romance with the hero could begin. Secondly, I did not like hints that were kept giving in the book about they did the same thing in real life as in the dream was more than just coincidence, but something more. I wasn’t fond of the way the 60s were portrayed either and so many other small things that I surprised myself by finishing. I know harlequins are usually a little over the top and only some of them are really good, but most of them are pretty decent. But this by far felt like an attempt to incorporate many issues/ideas into 180 some pages that fell far short of the goal. I guess there is something to be said of the tried and true plots found in harlequin presents.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gray Quinn's Baby.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 2: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay 90% a dream? Totally weird. But your review was great, HIna!

message 3: by Jacqueline (new) - added it

Jacqueline I agree with Lady Danielle, epic fail indeed.