Laura's Reviews > Fated

Fated by Alyson Noel

Apr 14, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: goodreads-first-reads, ya-uf-pr

It is very obvious that the publisher, St. Marin’s Griffin expects Alyson Noel’s new series, Soul Seekers to do very well. I’m not familiar with the Immortal series that made her famous, but I do know that many of my Goodreads friends have attempted to read it and ended up disliking it immensely. I think Fated is a perfect example of why one shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. The combination of the warm purple hues, the silhouettes of birds bursting into the sky and the young girl with long hair undulating in the wind is very pleasing to the eye. Once you’re hooked by the cover, the next impulse is to read the blurb on the back and skim through several pages. There are even birds printed at the beginning of every chapter. Fated just looks so darn pretty and you can’t help but be wooed into reading it.

The book was beyond boring. There are a million YA titles in bookstores just like it. I don’t have the patience or the time to trudge through another formulaic paranormal romance. The main character is unlikable and obnoxious and it’s hard to feel sympathetic about her situation when she does nothing but scream and throw tantrums. The love interest is a boy she met in her dreams and is someone she is destined to be with. Their relationship in the beginning is purely physical and during their brief encounters the mystery boy always undresses her. That’s right, they are sex dreams! She doesn’t even know his name, but he knows her body intimately! Want to hear a snippet?

“I am the blood that courses through the boy who kisses me—as sure as I’m the beat in the raven’s wings that led me to him…. His fingers move swiftly, deftly. Trailing along the front of my dress, pushing the fabric down past my shoulders, down past my waist, where he ducks his head low and his lips find my flesh.”

Forget romance! Let’s just move right on to the heavy petting! When two people are soul-mates they can skip the preliminaries, like getting to know one another, and just start humping like bunnies!

Perhaps I have been spoiled by quality writing and my standards are too high. The last couple of books I’ve read, both YA and adult, have been amazing. They were imaginative, thought provoking and gripping. Everything that Fated isn’t.

*Won ARC on Goodread's Giveaways*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fated.