Cheryl's Reviews > The Woman at the Light

The Woman at the Light by Joanna Brady

Mar 19, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from March 17 to 19, 2012

(Warning: This is a tad super long. I'm just flailing over this book. That ending. My emotions. Love this book. It might just be the type font...not Helvetica! Wahoo.)

Key West. New Orleans. 1800's. At the heart of Joanna Brady's The Woman at the Light is a truly beautiful story that proves that nothing is impossible, especially when it comes to true love. (cue Disney theme song)

Emily Lowry and her family were living on an isolated island called Wreckers' Cay, when her husband suddenly disappeared. Now it's up to Emily to tend to the island's lighthouse and support her three children, with another one on the way. After a few months of struggle, Andrew, a runaway slave, washes up on the beach, much to the dismay of Emily. Little did she know, Andrew would be a source of hope, help, and love she and her family need. When tragedy hits once more and her new family is split apart, Emily must overcome obstacles and hardships back on the mainland, testing her love and determination.

Historical fiction! Yeah! With a dash of murder and mystery! Oh yeah! This book is absolutely stunning, beautifully written, and extremely uplifting. The characters are believable and real, I was rooting for Emily and Andrew the whole way through. I was so emotionally attached to all of them, I was on the verge of tears at some parts. Martha, Timothy, Hannah, Andrew, Emily, Dorothy, everyone! Ahhh. They are just so strong and relatable. Emily does whatever it takes to protect her children. Andrew is level headed, loving, and the boulder Emily needs in her unstable life. The children are just adorable. It's difficult not to love them all. Well, except the bad guys. They are terrible, of course.

The plot is intriguing. A love between a Southern bred white female and an illegal half-African (sort of spoiler?) male slave was unacceptable, unheard of, abhorred, but the isolation of Wreckers' Cay allowed their love to blossom. Perfect. The sneaking around. The midnight trysts. The hiding and lies. It's all very scary and suspenseful. However, with the help of Brady's talented writing and the strong characters she created, I was able to believe Emily and Andrew still had a chance at a happy ending.

The writing is easy to follow, and when I read dialogue, it was so fun, hearing the characters speak in various Southern accents in my head. The sceneries set up are just beautiful. I mean, why wouldn't they be? We're by the beach more than half of the time. This book is colorful, light, and playful when it's supposed to be, and vice versa. It's the perfect blend of happiness and despair, light and dark, old and new. Intertwined in this compelling love story are also social and political issues during that time period. Slavery. Feminism. Foreign affairs. It's so good.

The Woman at the Light is a captivating love story, with its twists and turns, between a man and woman who look to be complete opposites, but are exactly what the other needs (cue Taylor Swift's Love Story). Too bad fate comes a-knockin' and tries to tear them apart (cue Avril Lavigne's Happy Ending). Do they end up together? Do they go separate ways? Wait, where's her husband that disappeared?! What is going on?! FIND OUT! This book is absolutely perfect. I love and highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman at the Light.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

E.R. Warner I couldn't agree more. This is a GREAT book. Anyone who appreciates novels about "forbidden love" will absolutely flip over this one.

Cathy I also LOVED,LOVED this book! Right up there with my all-time favorites! I was so sorry to see it end!!
Have you ever read The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom? Also a great historical fiction book!

Lindsey I love this review!! And it so perfectly describes the book. I just finished it in an absolute flurry of reading (work be damned!). Very well reviewed:)