Megan's Reviews > Unplanned: The Dramatic True Story of a Former Planned Parenthood Leader's Eye-Opening Journey Across the Life Line

Unplanned by Abby Johnson

Mar 04, 12

bookshelves: bookgroup
Recommended to Megan by: Staci Hopkin
Recommended for: All women
Read from February 29 to March 04, 2012, read count: 1

I was looking forward to reading this true story about someone who has been on both sides of the fence. Abby Johnson not only had several abortions herself, but she also worked for Planned Parenthood for 8 years, the last few as director of her center. What key event happened that made her switch to the pro-life side?

Mostly, I wanted to listen and learn as I read this book to understand more about the viewpoints on both sides and to feel compassion and the struggle on both sides.

It was a very interesting, insightful book. The power that God played in Abby's transformation was humbling. When I started reading it, I felt like the writing was a little overly dramatic or overwrought. I'm glad I kept with it, because either the writing got better, or I didn't mind it as much as the story kept going.

Since finishing this book I've looked up a lot of statistical information about national and international abortion rates. The national yearly abortion rates are 1.21 million abortions. In America twenty-two percent of all pregnancies end in abortion. Worldwide there are 43.8 million abortions a year. There has also been a lot of press lately about the Susan G. Komen breast cancer withdrawing their substantial financial contributions to Planned Parenthood. I've been listening to that with interest, especially understanding that the way that Planned Parenthood pays for their counseling services is through abortions. Each abortion brings in $500.00. Late term abortions can bring in $4,000-5,000.00 each. If Planned Parenthood's bottom line is more about their financial viability than it really is about helping women (as they claim), then they'll be pushing women, as Abby describes to abortions to help them cover Planned Parenthood costs for counseling, contraception, medical services, exams, etc.

I'm left wondering how you can "permit" some abortions without "promoting" them?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unplanned.