Katie(babs)'s Reviews > Perfection

Perfection by R.L. Mathewson

Mar 02, 12

Read from March 01 to 02, 2012

Perfection is the second book in A Neighbor from Hell series showcasing Jason’s cousin Trevor. I disliked Trevor immensely. He’s boorish, selfish and when it comes to the heroine, Zoe, he treats her poorly. Poor Zoe is a former foster child who has no family and ends up losing her job for doing the right thing. She lives in the same building with Trevor, who’s the landlord. It’s only him and her who live there. He’s a horrible neighbor, both greedy and selfish, only thinking of his own needs, and after Zoe gets fired, all she wants to do is eat her pizza she orders. Trevor steals the pizza, because he’s been banned from most restaurants and take out places for some unknown reason. Trevor is scary obsessed with food, and when Zoe confronts him, he says she doesn’t need to eat the pizza, implying she’s fat. Zoe is what you would call a bigger woman weight wise. Trevor then feels guilty for what he has done and offers her a job as his personal housekeeper of sorts and getting her job as his uncle’s secretary.

Things are looking up for Zoe and she decides she wants to have more of a social life and that means dating and sex. When Trevor finds out she’s on the prowl for a man, he volunteers to help her out, although they must keep their relationship a secret because she’s not the right woman for him. The fact that she’s overweight and his friends and work buddies will make fun of him makes Trevor wary in letting anyone know what Zoe means to him. Zoe is fine with the friends with benefits thing and Trevor really makes her happy in bed. He’s a big giver and doesn’t mind her curves at all, even as she starve herself to lose weight, which to her surprise Trevor is angry about. Soon Trevor can’t stop thinking about Zoe and wants much more from her. He decides she must stay with him and make him happy until he tires of her, which may be another few decades or so.

I have a love/hate relationship with Perfection. It’s pretty much the same tone as Playing for Keeps, but Trevor is a major asshat. My dislike for him grew during one scene when his co-workers are making fun of Zoe’s weight and calling her rude names. Trevor allows it because he feels if he comes to her defense, they’ll figure out he has feelings for her and in turn make fun of him. There were many instances where Trevor would put down Zoe in his mind while wanting to have sex with her every which way. Toward the end he was somewhat redeemed, but he’s pretty much selfish until the end. Also the non-stop obsession with food for him and the amount he eats is so over the top and unrealistic. Zoe has very little backbone and I felt so bad for her, even though she has many orgasms thanks to Trevor.

I was at odds with Perfection overall because it was too zany and Trevor is just too selfish and I wanted to chuck him over a cliff. But even with my issues with Trevor, I did enjoy this one but with some reservations.
14 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perfection.

03/01/2012 page 80
36.53% "Trevor, the hero, is a royal jackass. The heroine Zoe is a little chubby and when Trevor's friends and co-workers call her fat and make fun of her weight, he doesn't come to her defense because she doesn't want to "like" her. I want to smack him right now." 1 comment

message 1: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian I quite liked that progression. Trevor goes from someone who doesn't even see her, to someone who sees her as not much more than a cleaner and as the story progresses he gets to the point where he can't see anyone else.
I also quite liked that physically she didn't change all that much, it was him that changed.