Celine's Reviews > Lover Reborn

Lover Reborn by J.R. Ward

Apr 22, 12

bookshelves: good-ol-paperback, smutilicious
Read from April 16 to 22, 2012

Well.... i don't think I ever gave only 1 star to a Warden book. Unfortunatly that's all I have left after I've finished.

I'm left with a big fat 'That's it??'

really...that's it?? story finished, book done? it's the number one book of missed opportunities. As the books get longer and longer, it seems they loose in content and story.

There..i said it.

It's hard for me to actually put that on screen/paper but frankly i just want to be honest.

let's start with Thor: at first he's an emotional wreck but soon life starts to wiggle it's way back into his body, mind and eventually heart. I can't say Thor was ever favorite Brother. I did like him in the first half of this book. his hesitations and feeling seemed thruthfull and honest. he started to bug me when he just kept on denying his feelings for No'One but continued to fuck her like a bunny. Can't have it both way buddy... also the continuous splatter of cum & orgasms got ridiculous... and in the second half he lost it completely. shooting himself up before helping No'One out with her needing? before even trying to give her the drugs?? you whimp.

No'One: hey she had backbone, she was hot. One sentence for you:'ease yourself warrior' oh yeah ;) she started out as a grey nothing but soon transformed to a very likeble character.

Xhex & JM: while I liked the fact that they had marital problems, it was downright ridiculous that this occured only days after their mating! come on... thankfully chapter 48 was the end of it cause it was getting boooooring. I liked the way JM choose his female over the King later on... giving Xhex just a little bit more info, good for you JM!

V: hmm lovely V... i actually managed to forget he was mated to Jane! felt like he did too cause at some point he's talking about the death of his loved ones and he says: Payne & Butch.... but no Jane! LOL
why on earth did V keep the ashes of Wellsie in his bedroom closet???!! that's just all kinds of ewww

Qhuay: thank God their book is next cause I would seriously consider not bothering with it if it was anyone else's. we didn't see a lot of them but enough to get the interest going. Qhuinn is to be made a brother, where was that in the book? we get a hint of it, there is lots of things going on with Sax in the library, why on earth was that ceremony not in the book? I bet it's gonna be some kind of mating-induction for the next one but still... it was another missed chance.

BOB: these guys are all kinds of hot, wrong and trouble! finally some worhty opponents for the Brothers! the lessers have reached the bottom end of their usefulness. we just had a few encounters with meaningless lessers, nothing worth of mentioning really, it feels like Ward just throws in a few battles to fill the pages. frustrating... and what about that complot against the Blind King? where was that? apart from that shoot-up and the meeting with the slimy Glymera, that was it. I could have blinked my eyes and missed it. oh btw why on earth would you put Thor in the back of a van with the injured king when V, a trained paramedic, is also on the site?? should we actually believe he knows how to perform that thingie with the tube he did? I'm not buying it.

Layla: Okaaaay I never ever thought i would say this, let alone think it but I'm gonna be really honest: she was the most interesting bit in the second half of the book!!! I know ,right: how fucked up is that!?
I'm starting to like her (yeah yeah i know she's stupid :)) no really, i was rooting for her! so exciting she fell for Xcor! now that was some serious passion and tension between those two! I was so hoping she would go find him! Go get the underdog Layla! get to know him.... rock his faith and give him something beautiful in his life... but no, nothing, nada, noppes... again.

What was up with the names of the carvings? was that supposed to be the Old Language? like hell it was... christ that is just too insulting to make it to the page. why not put the real Old Language in it? why oh why?!

On that matter: why did I get the feeling there were a lot of forced, artificial, constructed things happening? like 'let's check the weapon so we know it's true', Thor's claim on Xcor and again..nothing happens with that either!!!! Man what did actually happen in this book? did something happen? ugh i'm getting frustrated here... i guess the next book is going to be 1000+ :)

same with Elan, the traitor.... Assail, bad ass druglord... where is all this going? is Ward setting up a whole new set of characters like in the beginning of the series? but it just feels all over the place. too much little bits and pieces without a coherent storyline. Okay thor and No'One got their story and solved their personal problems along with Lassiter but really.. feels like that's all there is in this book. And that's just a shame.

and no Muhrder...

Ward wrote so well in the beginning. all the little things coming together in a big plot! emotionally charged conversations, feelings jumping of almost every page, keeping us on the tips of our seats during the whole book! we've had abductions and rescues and matings... and aside the main HEA were several subplots, really elaborated work. Now it just feels empty. I don't want to real 'yet another PNR book with a hot couple' no No NO! I want the Brothers back. full force, with all the drama, love, heart ache, tears and laughter. not this shit, not this empty Kardashian level, paperfilling Wardism-stuff.

I'm sad... I really hoped it would be better than LUnleashed. Now i feel it's even worse.

4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Reborn.

04/17/2012 page 221
39.0% "'ease yourself warrior'

Oooh yeah No'One :)"
04/20/2012 page 445
78.0% "Thor you wuss!!! goddamn wuss WUSS!!! shooting yourself up instead of servicing No'One?! Male of worth my ass! you have forever lost any hint of honor and selfworth! goddamn I'm pissed, stupid excuse of a Brother! *muttermuttermutter*grmbl*grmbl* ugh! I can't believe it! wussy!"
04/20/2012 page 528
92.0% "I'm doing my best to stay calm....but really, really???!!! WTF!
uhg I'm gonna break something...
Thorment don't you dare 'apologise' or try and make up, that was so low, I can't even begin to tell you how disgusted i am!
V.. honestly? did you keep the ashes of Wellsie in you bedroom?? ewwww again.....WTF??!!
Layla! I'm starting to like her! really.... oh my god this book is honestly driving me insane!"

Sharon (Simi) Ehcstasy Ohh wanna read it again I do

Celine I'm starting to like this book for reasons I could not have imagined and vice versa I'm hating it for the things I thought I was gonna like.... How's that for a change :)

Celine there are so many good storylines hidden in this book, why oh why did it have to be this sh*tty?!

Mimi Smith You mean Qhuay? Why one star?

Celine i didn't like it one bit :(

Celine maybe the beginning or first half was ok but the second half really got on my nerves.... so overal: no i did not like it.

oh my god, shit... can't believe it

message 7: by Mimi (last edited Apr 22, 2012 01:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Ah, just read the review. Sorry you disliked it :(. I had some problems with it, but overall, it was good for me...

message 8: by Mel (last edited May 06, 2012 08:39AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel also the continuous splatter of cum & orgasms got ridiculous...

LOL. You had me giggling. And I totally agree on Tohr and No'One. It started out great but it fizzled out to a whole lot of nothing.

As for V and his "loved ones". He can't think of Jane's death since she's already dead remember? So (for once) it wasn't a mistake, but actual logic (Ward does surprise me sometimes...).

That whole scene didn't make sene. Same with the Qhuinn thing. First he leaves JM alone while he's to never ever leave his side. Then he sneaks up on Xcor and fistfights him while both are armed to the teeth. It was so... unnecessary. I know I know: plot device, but subtlety please!

Very fucked up. I'm disowning you.

Hear hear.

Celine Hi Mel, thanks for commenting. there was a total lack of reaction on my review and i was beginning to fear the worst :)

anyway, about V and the loved ones. I didn't really understand it like that. i thought he was thinking in general not 'in the now' that he was also referring to the time when he had visions of Butch, I think Jane was very much alive then. open for discussion :)

I'm starting a YaY Layla group :p

message 10: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Celine wrote: "Hi Mel, thanks for commenting. there was a total lack of reaction on my review and i was beginning to fear the worst :)...."

Must have been the Layla thing, LOL. No, I'm afraid it was because you were pretty late to the party.

You should discuss the V-thing with Sarah. I think she'll definitely like your view.

Did you discuss the book in the BDB group already? I'm behind on the threads due to my holiday.

Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ Did I hear my name? LOL

I agree with Mel. Thought ghost wasn't mentioned since she's already dead.

I like your review but have to disagree about Layla. I think she gets worse with every book.

Celine Yeah i'm late and i just don't find the time to go to the group threads :( argh it's frustrating.... just 3 more weeks and i'm finished with my assignment for class, hopefully i'll have my degree then and i'll have some more time for discussions (and challenges)

message 13: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Are you doing smt post-doc?

Celine avondschool boekhouder.... geen idee wat dat zou zijn in het engels

message 15: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Bookkeeper? Wat goed zeg! En dat met een kleintje erbij. Heel knap!