Jess Michaelangelo's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

Jan 19, 12

bookshelves: favorites, fiction, historical-fiction, own, re-read
Recommended for: Book-lovers; esp. those who like books about books
Read in January, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I devoured this book! After hearing only good things about this book, I was still a little hesitant because I didn't know whether I would like the letter format of the post-WWII setting. Nevertheless, once I started it, I could not put it down! The letter format really added to the story--it allowed the reader to get to know each of the characters. By the end, I considered the characters dear to me as my own friends. My favorite character, by far, was Juliet. She was quirky and witty, and her humor was infectious. I also enjoyed the various stories from World War Two. Nothing was too dry or fact-based. They were human interest stories that offered insight to what it was like to live in Europe during the war. Above all, though, this is definitely a book for book-lovers, especially for people who love book about books and book-lovers. Now, I'm scrambling for a copy of my own!

EDIT: Re-read January 2012

Just to add onto my previous review for this, I will say this definitely lives up to a re-read!

If ever there was a better book written for book lovers by book lovers, I'd like to see it. This was just such a cozy book, and the fact that books and literature played such a huge role in the story made me want to literally hug this book.

I've never had a problem with novels in epistolary format (uh, hello...Dear America books were the bomb). The authors did an exceptional job keeping the letters realistically concise while blending together the plotline and the story.

My favorite part of this, besides the history which was obviously well-researched, was the characters. Juliet is my spirit animal, I'm pretty sure. She is my sunshine on a cloudy day. I just love her. The other characters were distinct, as well; each character stands on with their own personality.

Overall, a joy to read, whether for the first time or not. I definitely recommend to book lovers everywhere!

Quotes Jess Liked

Mary Ann Shaffer
“That's what I love about reading: one tiny thing will interest you in a book, and that tiny thing will lead you to another book, and another bit there will lead you onto a third book. It's geometrically progressive - all with no end in sight, and for no other reason than sheer enjoyment.”

Mary Ann Shaffer
“Perhaps there is some secret sort of homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers. How delightful if that were true.”

Mary Ann Shaffer
“I don't want to be married just to be married. I can't think of anything lonelier than spending the rest of my life with someone I can't talk to, or worse, someone I can't be silent with.”

Mary Ann Shaffer
“I love seeing the bookshops and meeting the booksellers-- booksellers really are a special breed. No one in their right mind would take up clerking in a bookstore for the salary, and no one in his right mind would want to own one-- the margin of profit is too small. So, it has to be a love of readers and reading that makes them do it-- along with first dibs on the new books.”

Mary Ann Shaffer
“It was amazing to me then, and still is, that so many people who wander into bookshops don't really know what they're after--they only want to look around and hope to see a book that will strike their fancy. And then, being bright enough not to trust the publisher's blurb, they will ask the book clerk the three questions: (1) What is it about? (2) Have you read it? (3) Was it any good?”

Mary Ann Shaffer
“Reading good books ruins you for enjoying bad books.”

Mary Ann Shaffer
“Men are more interesting in books than they are in real life.”

Mary Ann Shaffer
“Because there is nothing I would rather do than rummage through bookshops, I went at once to Hastings & Sons Bookshop upon receiving your letter. I have gone to them for years, always finding the one book I wanted - and then three more I hadn't known I wanted.”

Mary Ann Shaffer
“Life goes on." What nonsense, I thought, of course it doesn't. It's death that goes on.”

07/12/2009 page 10
3.45% "Okay. I'm not that far into this. But I can already tell I'm going to LOVE it!"
07/13/2009 page 71
24.48% "This is SO GOOD. And I love Juliet--she's so funny :)"
07/14/2009 page 122
42.07% "This is easily turning into one of my favorite books."
07/14/2009 page 159
54.83% "All I know is that I need my own copy of this ASAP."
01/08/2012 page 71
24.0% "Re-reading"
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Monica I can't wait to read this book! It's beside my bed at home. I've only heard good things about it.

JG (The Introverted Reader) I loved this book. I hope you enjoy as much as I did!