Neil Mudde's Reviews > August Farewell: The Last Sixteen Days of a Thirty-Three-Year Romance

August Farewell by David G.  Hallman

2034390
Jan 10, 13

Read in January, 2013

An interesting book about a true story of a gay couple of which one is diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, which is rather far advanced that there is little that can be done by the medical profession, which means he has only a few weeks left to live.
The couple have been together for 33 years, and the book goes back and forth between today, then a flashback into the past they enjoyed together
It is not the most uplifting story, the victim is rather ready to die any time, in fact wonders why it is taking so long, for 16 days he is taken care of by his partner in their luxurious condo downtown Toronto, there are times that the partner despairs as to why it is taking so long for him to die, and is he in much pain...he makes arrangements for the funeral, their friends include some "who is who" who will participate in the memorial service. he reads up on line what to expect when a person dies, like what might happen, he is surrounded by agencies that provide care workers for various jobs that require doing,which is the beauty and benefit of our Canadian Health Care System much sneered at by some of our friends in other parts of the world.
I read the book in about 4 hours, did not care for some of the religious beliefs espoused, however the author has worked for the United Church of Canada, hence the religious connection. The Author David has written other books as well. Having been involved in palliative care for several years with a Toronto Hospice agency, many of the details were not new to me. A good and sad journal, it would be interesting to know what has happened to the "left behind partner" today.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read August Farewell.