Ashley's Reviews > Grave Mercy

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

Apr 25, 12

bookshelves: aweeesssssomme
Read from April 23 to 24, 2012

4.5 stars this certainly lived up to the hype...when I heard about this book, I was mildly intrigued. Assassin nuns? Who've ever heard of that but due to being sucked into the hype of a lot of books and being disappointed, I decided to read this book with caution. Boy, was I impressed.

This book started out three years ago when Isame was fourteen years ago. She always had an inkling that she was sire from the god Death himself, when her mother tried to kill her before birth, Isame managed to survive the horrible poison and was born. She spends fourteen years of her life being ridiculed for the marks on her back, indicating that she was different and she receives the majority of her dad's hate and fear for her. In order to get rid of his daughter, her father cons an awful man to marry his daughter and hire a priest to do the honors. When Isame's new husband learns of Isame's "condition", Isame makes a run for it, she is taken to the convent of St. Mortain. A convent that does the wills of St. Mortain, the patron of Death, and for three years she is taught the ways of assassination. On her third assignment outside the convent, Ismae is taken to the high court of Brittany, which currently fighting the threat of the French, to work along side Gavriel Duval and parade around as his "cousin" also known as his mistress.

This is when the book starts getting good. Even though the book talks of assassination and barely assassinates, I believe this book shows that there doesn't have to be nonstop action because the drama within the court is action-fueled enough. There are so many twist and turns in the high court of Brittany and many times I was holding onto my seat, hoping Anne, the soon to be crowned duchess finds a husband who isn't as skeezy as D'Albert, the douche who was offered Anne's hand in marriage when she was a young girl. This book is drama packed and the 500 pages flew by. I didn't even mind the romance between Duval and Isame, why? Because it was believable, it wasn't love at first sight, Isame didn't find him to be the hottest thing ever and at the beginning of the book, she wouldn't hesitate to kill him if it was her handmaiden's wish.

My only reason for not giving the book a 5 was how rushed the ending was. I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either. I laughed at the ridiculousness her god's gift to her and I was still kind of baffled what happened to Anne? I know there are other books that will explain all but I'm still excited to find out what happens to Annith, if she'll ever receive her assignment or will she be punished with staying in the St. Mortain's convent or what's going on with Sybella?

I highly recommend this book, if you like historical romances, filled with juicy politics and kick ass heroines, this is the book for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Mercy.

04/23/2012 page 209
38.0% "interesting thus far"
04/23/2012 page 267
49.0% "Drammmaaaaaa back in the day"