eden's Reviews > Rizzo's War

Rizzo's War by Lou Manfredo

May 07, 12

bookshelves: quit-for-good

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rizzo's War.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by rachel (last edited Mar 02, 2012 08:46AM) (new)

rachel The only book I've ever read that has what I imagine to be an authentic "cop voice" is Homicide, but it's nonfiction. Most cop stories I've come across are written in this really affected, hard-boiled way and are hardly authentic. I have known more than a few cops, including two chiefs of police of Philly and Pittsburgh, and none of them were really even tough guys (in a personal setting, granted), let alone the gruff cynical robots you usually find in fiction. TBH, both of the chiefs are rather goofy, good-humored and warm. The policemen in Homicide are an assorted bunch too. I still think you would really like it.

message 2: by eden (last edited Mar 03, 2012 11:41AM) (new) - added it

eden Yeah, I've only ever read cop non-fiction before, so I don't really have other novels to compare this to. With Rizzo, I'm pretty sure the robotic prose is due to lack of skill instead of a purposeful attempt to write in stereotypical cop-speak...but who really knows. That's one of the problems with bad writing.

I've known cops, too, and you're right about the goofy, good-natured thing -- in my experience, that personality type is more common. (Probably because you have to have a pretty good sense of humor to remain a cop for very long.)

I think I'd like Homicide, too. I've had it on the to-read list since I saw it on your shelf, but my to-read list is so long, single books get lost in the mix. And I keep getting random books from the library that delay the list even further. I tell ya, bibliophilia is a disease.