Ashish's Reviews > Blackest Night

Blackest Night by Geoff Johns

Feb 28, 2012

bookshelves: comics
Read in February, 2012

There's different ways to read comics. While each individual book is a story, the lore is built up over several dozen, no, hundreds of preceding comics across decades, over crossovers, reboots, reinterpretations, plotlines, and tributes. Every comic contributes two things - the story itself, and one tiny particle of the overall mythology.
That said, I grew up with comics from second-hand bookstores. I would read across story arcs, between genres, back to front and sideways... basically anything I could lay my hands on.
So when I read Blackest Night, it was like time travel. I was suddenly Twenty Years Later and realizing that the familiar world and mythos I knew had been growing up along with me, changing and developing - people had died, people had stepped up, and it was a whole new world.
But thanks to the chaotic-story absorption and interpretation skills I'd built, I was still able to enjoy it.
That was a long intro, but here's the review - you better have read most of the preceding storylines, not just for Green Lantern but across most of every DC comic character, because they're all gonna show up.
And it was awesome meeting all your old favorites again, even though they were zombies now.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackest Night.

Gautam Surath I think the whole concept of Lantern corps being the core had really re-ignited a dying franchise. Multiple colored rings was an awesome innovation and gave GL what the Year one reboot gave batman. Blackest night is just another great part of the whole piece.