Jon's Reviews > Touchstone

Touchstone by Melanie Rawn

Nov 15, 14

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in June, 2014

First off, I'm a biased reader. I absolutely love Ms. Rawn's Exiles series and I am hoping for the decade-and-a-half wait for The Captal's Tower to be over with at some point in the forseeable future. That being said...

I don't know that this series will stand up to the test of time. My first impression is one of mild disappointment, because the book is a lot of 'they went here and did this, and went there and did that' but lacks a lot of 'this is how they did it'. I don't know if that makes any sense, but I'm trying...I guess I should say, this feels more like a sketch of a novel than an actual finished product. It has some great scenes, and steady character development, but it still ends feeling incomplete.

I truthfully should give this 3 stars, but I'm holding out hope that the next in the series holds up better under scrutiny or that I get a better impression after re-reading it in a few months.

-- Jon

[EDIT 06/28/2014]

I recently picked up the rest of the series, and went back to this one to refresh my memory. After re-reading, I still have to say it doesn't feel like a complete book, but it's a little more coherent the second time through. Still not on a par with Exiles or the two Dragon trilogies, but a damn sight better than the Spellbinder books.

I'll increase my truth-in-advertising to 3.5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touchstone.