Books-treasureortrash's Reviews > Gregor and the Marks of Secret

Feb 28, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, reviewed
Read in February, 2012

Book Review: 3 Treasure Boxes

What is the mysterious Prophesy of Time and how does it concern Gregor? Gregor's mother is recuperating in the Underland and Gregor and Boots go often to visit her, while there, Gregor trains with Ripred to improve his rager skills. Soon Gregor and Luxa receive word that the mice are in trouble and sneak off to help with the aid of a few friends.

This is the fourth of five books in The Underland Chronicles. It is a fantasy book aimed at 9 to 12 year olds, but can also be classified as Young Adult. The story primarily takes place on earth in the Underland, far below New York City. The story is told in the third person narrative from the point of view of the main protagonist, 12 year old Gregor. Suzanne Collins has also written The Hunger Games plus a couple of other books written for youths.

This series follows a great story line. It continues in this book which was interesting and captivating from the first page. Gregor and Luxa's relationship deepens and solidifies. Gregor faces and has to deal with his own fallibility. Once again Ms. Collins explores discrimination and she even deals with the idea of genocide. There was plenty of action, some of it pretty gruesome. The material is pretty mature even though the story is aimed towards children.
Gregor and the Marks of Secret is not a standalone story, it was more like the end of a part. In order to see what happens next, we will need to read the final book in the series, Gregor and the Code of Claw. I will be quickly picking it up to read as I am quite anxious to see how everything unfolds. I highly recommend this series and I really enjoyed this fourth installment. Hopefully, the series will have a great ending.

For more of my reviews go to: http://books-treasureortrash.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gregor and the Marks of Secret.