Kami's Reviews > Mr. Darcy's Great Escape: A Tale of the Darcys & the Bingleys

Mr. Darcy's Great Escape by Marsha Altman

Feb 28, 12

bookshelves: fiction
Read in February, 2012

I wanted more Jane Austen, but was getting bored with the same stories, so I have been reading sequels. This one started out really good, but fell flat quickly. Some plots twists were really bizarre. There were so many children between all the new "families". There was no family tree in the beginning or end. It was impossible to remember who Georgie, Gregoire, Geoffery, George, and Joseph belong to, the Darcy's, Bingley's, Wickham's, and more. The children should be linked to their parents more then once when briefly introduced. There were several new characters introduced, too many. My least favorite was Mr. Bennett's fondness for Mary's illegitimate son. Mary, with an illegitimate son?!?!? And no explanation, however brief, on how this happened. There were just too many unusual, weird things happening with characters deviating from Austen's portrayal. I don't recommend it unless there is nothing else to read. It isn't too bad, but definitely not great.

Also, of all the sequels I've checked out so far, Darcy always has an illegitimate brother, there is a ill conceived trip to the continent, Bingley has trade issues, Jane or Elizabeth has a set of twins. I guess I just expected more variety then I have found. Anyone have a good one they recommend?
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Darcy's Great Escape.