Josiah's Reviews > Dark Cloud Strong Breeze

Dark Cloud Strong Breeze by Susan Patron

1914201
Feb 28, 12

Read on February 28, 2012

There's a certain appealing something about this book that I can't deny, and for that reason I would be inclined to at least consider giving one and a half stars to Dark Cloud Strong Breeze. I think it's mostly the magic touch of Newbery Medalist Susan Patron that makes the story what it is, though illustrator Peter Catalanotto certainly had a hand in it, as well. His atmospheric drawings allow us to feel almost as if we were there ourselves beside the young girl as she determinedly works to get herself and her father back inside their car on a day that promises rain at any moment. The girl's father has accidentally locked the keys in the car, but it's the girl who will have to find a way to get those doors open. Can she do it before the rain begins to fall?

Books oftentimes bounce back and forth between being in print and not; Dark Cloud Strong Breeze is not currently in print at the time of this writing, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a publisher bring it back at some point. I think that it could be an enjoyable book for early readers, as well as a solid introduction to the writing of Susan Patron. I know from experience that a love of reading can be spurred on by a picture book that captures one's imagination early in life, and I believe that Dark Cloud Strong Breeze has that quality about it.

There's one other piece of information that I wish to note. The copy of this book that I read, checked out from a local library, contains the handwritten autograph of the illustrator himself, Peter Catalanotto. He writes: "To the children of Bensonville, may reading always be a breeze! Peter Catalanotto 1994". I just thought it was really nice that he autographed the book to the kids, both present and future, of an entire library that way, and I thought it was equally nice that Bensonville Community Public Library was willing to take a chance with such a special gift and send it out via interlibrary loan, which was my only chance to read the book since my regular library doesn't own a copy. Kindness and cooperation truly have a way of bestowing blessings, have they not?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Cloud Strong Breeze.