Tena's Reviews > Eve

Apr 15, 12

bookshelves: 2012, book-club, historical-fiction
Recommended for: nobody
Read from April 09 to 15, 2012

I was thinking about writing a big, long review of this, but since I really didn't like it, I won't waste my energy. The idea behind this book was "what happened when Adam and Eve left Eden?" and apparently the answer is "they became selfish assholes with selfish asshole children." The concept was not well executed. Every character was beyond a normal human in their flaws- Cain was depicted as a sociopath who tortured and killed small animals, Eve is a manipulative, whiny, weak woman, Adam is just a holier-than-though idiot. This could have been done better, and with more likeable characters. The story is told from the perspective of Eve and her daughters, and all of them are in the first person except for Naava. This probably had some deep purpose, like "ooh, look Naava is so different from Eve and her sisters that even the author can't get in her head" but it just comes across as annoying. Not ONE of the characters in this book is a decent person, they are all pretty unpleasant. Even Aya, who is supposed to be the one "good" person, comes across as a martyr who is so proud of her own relationship with Elohim that she goes to lengths to make sure everyone else must follow her beliefs.

I understand that there weren't many choices of husbands for Adam and Eve's daughters, but the level of lust Naava displays for Cain is perverse and uncomfortable to read. It's gross, to be honest. It would be one thing if it was described like she had fallen in love with him, but instead she constantly brings up that he's her brother, and it comes across like she wants to have sex with him because he's her brother.

Anyway. I did not like this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eve.

04/10/2012 page 105
24.0% "I reallydon't know if I like this book or not. All the characters are pretty annoying. Nobody is particularly good. Not as bad as in Wuthering Heights, but not good."
04/11/2012 page 159
37.0% "Won't they just shut up? Also, the author switches perspective every chapter and some narratives are in first person and some aren't. It's really irritating! I kind of want to slap Eve, too. And Elohim is a child. I wish his character would grow up already." 2 comments
04/13/2012 page 200
46.0% "Well...it's getting better."
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Robin (jason&robin) Glad I decided to skip this one.

message 2: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Kirsten I haven't read it either.... maybe I'll skip this one too.

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin Well, crap!!! I am so sorry for recommending it. I guess the girl who recommended it to me is a little weird and might enjoy that kind of stuff. ;) A little unmotivated to read it now.

Robin (jason&robin) perhaps we should just have a movie night! =)

message 5: by Erin (new)

Erin Or Tena and Andrea could present a detailed synopsis to those of us who don't want to buy the book now.

message 6: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie Movie night is a good idea, Robin. What shall we watch??

Andrea Tena, I think it is kind of a shame that you were the first to review this book and put everyone off of it. I didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as you did, and I think there was a lot of stuff in it that we could have talked about.

Robin (jason&robin) Well, I decided to skip this one from the start. Not my bag but I am more than happy to talk about it. You can share what you thought about it at book club