Adam's Reviews > Insects and Gardens: In Pursuit of a Garden Ecology

Jun 10, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: appleton-public-library, entomology, non-fiction
Read from June 05 to 06, 2012

Eric Grissell tries really really hard in this book to advocate for the consideration of insects. He always assumes his reader is a gardener who has no use for them, who is totally unsympathetic. Since I came to this book looking to learn about insects in the garden because I am already there, already very interested, this was extremely tiresome.

As for the learning itself, I think this book just got to me a little too late. There are a lot of interesting things in here, but I knew most of them already, so, as I kind of suspected, this is part of the path I've already put behind me. It seems like he does a good job, and has some interesting thoughts on the philosophy of managing a garden (that is, why to do it "naturally" and what that might mean). But it wasn't what I wanted it to be. Perhaps Grissell's Bees, Wasps, and Ants: The Indispensable Role of Hymenoptera in Gardens will be more specific and therefore more aimed at my knowledge bracket.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insects and Gardens.

06/05/2012 page 98