Joe Robles's Reviews > After the Party

After the Party by Lisa Jewell

May 28, 12

Read from February 28 to May 28, 2012

I'm a huge fan of Lisa Jewel. This book is a sequel to Ralph's Party and think you really should read them in order to get the full effect. It could be read as a stand-alone novel, Jewell supplies you with all the background you need, but it just is better you read the first one.

While the first book was very much about "Young Love", this one is very much about "Adult Love" and how relationships require open communication to actually work. The story is told from both Ralph and Jem's points of view so you really get to see a relationships problem's from both sides. Ms. Jewell does a superb job of making you feel like both people are idiots but realistic idiots. I'm always amazed at the people I know who have problems with their loved ones, but never talk about it. You see that constantly in this book. But rather than being frustrating, you empathize. It's hard to tell someone what you feel, and communication is extremely difficult. Things get misinterpreted, so you stop even trying. And that's where relationships go wrong. And having kids doesn't make it any easier.

I won't spoil anything, but it's a great book and the ending had me crying. If you're a fan of Lisa Jewell, you'll definitely love this.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After the Party.