Namratha's Reviews > The Battle of the Labyrinth

The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan

After a week of some truly disappointing reads, I am thoroughly glad to say that Percy Jackson and The Battle of The Labyrinth lived up to my expectations and was utterly engaging.

...............................
Half-boy, half-God Percy Jackson starts off the new school year by battling a pair of ‘ Empousai ’ and blowing up his school. Again. He also runs into Rachel Elizabeth Dare, the mysterious mortal girl who can see through the mist.

It’s time to head back to Camp Half-Blood, because trouble is brewing…huge, scary ‘the-TITANS-are-plotting-dastardly-plots’ kind of trouble. The ancient Lord Kronos is slowly reforming, aided by Luke and his unearthly army. Kronos' plan is to invade Camp Half-Blood, raze it to the ground along with it’s heroes and then head off to destroy the Olympians.

Although the camp members were under the impression that Camp Half-Blood was impenetrable, they soon realize that Luke intends to invade it through one of the exits of the famous underground Labyrinth. Percy and gang decide to head into the Labyrinth themselves and discover Daedalus’s (the creator of the Labyrinth) workshop, so that they can find a way to stop the invasion.

Piece o'cake, right?
T-ch, you never learn, do you?

The Labyrinth is supposed to be the only piece of architecture that changes constantly. Even the creator Daedalus himself has no control over it. Tunnels change, new ones pop up, traps are laid at the most unexpected places and monsters are lurking just around the corner.
Sadly, backtracking is never a good option because you never know what is in store for you...left, right, back or front. A person could enter the maze and never get out. Ever.

Add to that the constant threat of running into Luke’s demonic army and Percy has his job cut out.

Is Percy doomed to roam forever in the mind-boggling Labyrinth? Will Grover finally find the lost God Pan? Will Annabeth’s faith in Luke lead to her downfall? Will Nico allow his festering thirst for revenge to overpower him? And will the heroes survive to fight another day? All that and much more.....perfectly packaged in another superb instalment by Rick Riordan.
...............................

Percy Jackson, the prince of understatement, is as quick with his trusted sword ‘Riptide’ as he is with the droll quips and quicksilver action sequences. Added to the equation is the fledgling love-triangle between him and his two leading ladies. A brave and self-deprecating hero, Percy has you rooting for him till the last page.

If I could garner up more than 5 stars for this delightful gem, I would.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Battle of the Labyrinth.

06/14/2013 marked as: currently-reading
06/17/2013 page 141
41.0% "'Hi,' I told him. 'I'm going to clean your stables. Won't that be great?'
'Yes!' the horse said. 'Come inside! Eat you! Tasty half-blood!'
'But I'm Poseidon's son.' I protested. 'He created horses.'
Usually this gets me VIP treatment in the equestrian world, but not this time.
'Yes!' the horse agreed enthusiastically. 'Poseidon can come in too! We will eat you both! Seafood!'" 2 comments
06/20/2013 page 230
67.0% "'So,' my mom said when I was done with the story, 'you wrecked Alcatraz Island, made Mount St Helens explode and displaced half a million people, but atleast you're safe.'
That's my mom, always looking on the bright side."
06/20/2013 page 258
75.0% "'I - I'm sorry about that. I thought you were going to die.'
She sounded like she was close to crying.
'Hey, I'm usually about to die,' I promised. 'Don't feel bad.'"
06/21/2013 page 300
87.0% "'Remake the wild, a little at a time, each in your own corner of the world. You cannot wait for anyone else, even a god, to do that for you.'"
06/21/2013 page 328
95.0% "'But remember, boy, that a kind act can sometimes be as powerful as a sword. As a mortal, I was never a great fighter or athlete or poet. I only made wine. The people in my village laughed at me. They said I would never amount to anything. Look at me now. Sometimes small things can become very large indeed.'"
06/21/2013 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Janeen-san Wow! What a good review!! I just began the book yesterday (last day of january 09) and I'm on page 6 and its AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hi!!!

Namratha Hey thx! And I fully agree.....the book is totally great. Do check the prequels to this one.......equally good and as addictive! :)

message 3: by Van (new) - rated it 5 stars

Van This is an awesome perview. Even though I already read it, this make me waht to read it again.

Namratha Thanks, Van. It's a great series 'n'I love reviewing it :)

Dante Percy is a demi god not half god

Namratha my bad

Julie S. I think that demigod means half god. It means he has one human parent and one godly parent.

Namratha I think that in The Percy Jackson Series, they emphasize on the term "demigod" to enforce the point that he and the other half-bloods are not as wholly superior as the actual Greek Gods.

Namratha I preferred this one...loved the way Daedalus' tale was stitched into the plot.

message 10: by Chococat (new)

Chococat Cool! Great review!

Namratha Thank You, Chococat :)

Kaitlyn I completely agree with the above statements, this book was a great read.

Namratha Yep, Kaitylin...can return to it without a second thought.

message 14: by Mith (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mith You know what I just realised? You haven't read part 2 of the Kane Chronicles.

:-O

Why?! Well, go read now! The third book is almost upon us! Hurry!

Namratha Mith wrote: "You know what I just realised? You haven't read part 2 of the Kane Chronicles.

:-O

Why?! Well, go read now! The third book is almost upon us! Hurry!"

Mith! I have read it! But oddly enough, haven't written a review on it. Ah well, isn't that a perfect excuse to re-read it? :)

Basuhi Awesome. I love how you explain it up there, in a way it seems like a high-off version of Percy's jargon.
Anyway, cool review, Namratha.

Namratha Basuhi wrote: "Awesome. I love how you explain it up there, in a way it seems like a high-off version of Percy's jargon.
Anyway, cool review, Namratha."

You know, I realized that too, Basuhi. Percy Jackson wryness is creeping into my daily life :)