Monte's Reviews > Catch Me If You Can: The True Story Of A Real Fake

Catch Me If You Can by Frank W. Abagnale

Feb 28, 12

Read in February, 2012

This book was actually written about twenty years before the movie was made. Stephen Spielberg took the liberty in changing some of the details and made a movie out of it. According to Frank Abagnale, the movie is about 80% accurate. I don't like how he bragged about how gullible these people were when he was able to con them. I could see his inner struggles when it comes to his love life. He wanted to get married with certain women; and yet, he knew that no way can the marriage take place because he was living a lie. And more than that though, as he grew up, as he claimed in the later part of this book (and in The Art of the Steal), supposedly he started to think about what might happen to the person who cashed his fake checks.

I must say that I was amazed (to certain extent, it is a bit hard to believe) by how lucky he was in the sense that he was able to conduct his fraud for so long without getting caught. He was able to accomplish so much, even though it was in a bad way, within five years of his life. I was touched by what the Malmo judge did for Frank and am also glad that Frank eventually could turn his life around.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catch Me If You Can.