J. Bryce's Reviews > Band of Brothers: E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's Nest

Band of Brothers by Stephen E. Ambrose

Feb 28, 12

bookshelves: biography, military, non-fiction, social-history, world-war-ii, own
Read in January, 1996

Possibly the best of Ambrose's popular WWII books -- although Pegasus Bridge and all the others are terrific, too. (I haven't read his Eisenhower books, and that's an oversight -- Ambrose is Eisenhower's "official" biographer.)

Tells the now-familiar story of Easy Company of the 506th PIR of the 101st Airborne Division, from training in Georgia through the Normandy invasion, Operation Market-Garden, the so-called Battle of the Bulge, and the end of the war in Germany.

Ambrose's books are all conversational in tone, making them easily accessible, especially to those who think they "don't like" non-fiction. His scholarship is excellent and he had the opportunity to interview many, if not most, of the "band of brothers."

The combat sequences are clearly delineated and easy to understand (I doubt you'd need a military background to follow them -- I don't have one but have read this kind of thing for literally all my life) and the soldiers all stand out as individuals -- much more so than in the HBO miniseries of the same name, which is equally wonderful.

This is The War as experienced by the frontline soldier -- you won't get much Grand Strategy here, but I don't think that lack would stand in the way of a neophyte's enjoyment of the book. Highly recommended.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Band of Brothers.