Giselle's Reviews > Inhale

Inhale by Kendall Grey

May 01, 2012

bookshelves: arc, ebook, adult, paranormal
Read from April 26 to May 01, 2012

Creative, original premise? Check.
Engaging characters? Check.
Hot sex? Triple check.
Do I have your attention yet?

I was wary at first when I saw there was talk of whale biology in this book as I have no knowledge or grand interest in the matter, but then I heard about the hot sex but I kept seeing such wonderful reviews that eventually convinced me to give it a try. I can say I'm really glad I did because this one is packed full or originality with a fast pace that never lets go, and the whale aspect actually managed to intrigue me. The world building itself had me a bit confused during the first quarter or so, trying to decipher this new paranormal world of dreams and elements. But I eventually caught on and found myself quite fascinated by the whole thing. We're dealing with the four elements; an elemental imbalance in the Dreamlands is causing people to have nightmares, essentially affecting their moods or, worst case, getting them killed. It's all fairly complex with a lot of information to take in, however, Kendall makes it work. In no time, it all ties together and we're left with an immensely creative world that is brilliantly built.

There's no skimping on the characters either. We've got Zoe; whale biologist, dreamer, independent butt kicker. She's someone who knows what she wants, and tries her hardest to get it. She doesn't need anyone to sling her along, or to point out the obvious, especially when it comes to Gavin. And who's this Gavin? He's the sex-on-a-stick rock star that appears in her dreams to, well, rock her world. Though, unbeknownst to her, he's real. Very real. The romance is undoubtedly hot and steamy, but it's also realistic. I could feel their emotional attachment, especially when Zoe finds out he exists outside her dreams - a powerfully written scene vibrating from the emotional dilemma. These two protagonists are wonderful; perfectly flawed and easily loveable.

Not only are these two full or life, the side characters are equally captivating, from the trustworthy mentor to the sexy villain. They all play their own distinct part in this elaborate universe, and they play them filled with charisma. It only adds to the already enthralling storyline.

A unique paranormal lore with a touch of fantasy, the plot in Inhale is constantly on the move. Since we go back and forth from the dream world to reality, as well as from Zoe and Gavin's POV, there's no stagnancy in here! If we're not learning about their world, we're taken into epic fight scenes, or quests to unmask the prophecy they were given; ultimately trying to restore the elemental balance before it's too late. As far as self published books go, this is one of the better edited I've read - I was even surprised when I saw it was self published about 20% through. The writing is beautiful and flows smoothly with virtually no typos. If you're serious about Urban Fantasy novels that kick butt - I highly recommend this one!

For more of my reviews, visit my blog at Xpresso Reads
25 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inhale.

message 1: by Jenni (new)

Jenni Arndt hahahahahaha best GoodReads status update ever

Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books) Red Sovina pepper hot lol.

message 3: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Lohr lol...awesome!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I am so excited you are reading this!!

message 5: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie Tuccelli SEXYTIMES!!! :-) Can't wait to see your review, you freak, you!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review, Giselle! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

message 7: by Micheline (new)

Micheline You have my attention; adding it to the pile XD Great review Giselle!

Giselle Thanks ladies! :)

Olivia--Porcrastinator Extraordinaire Great review! I think I'll have to give it a try!

Giselle Thanks Olivia! Hope you enjoy it too! :)

message 11: by ♥Rachel♥ (new) - added it

♥Rachel♥ Yep, laughing at the first sentence, Giselle. This one sounds very readable. Great review! :)

Giselle @Rachel: Lol yeah, who cares about the rest!? Thanks Rach! :)

Roimata Paoo ok you got me, thanks for your review, im reading it now.