David Wailing's Reviews > That Bear Ate My Pants!

That Bear Ate My Pants! by Tony James Slater

Jun 10, 12

Read from May 12 to June 10, 2012

If you're not much of a traveller, aren't interested in looking after (or running after) wild animals, and are far too sensible to get yourself into bizarre, life-threatening situations... read this book. Tony has done all of the above, so that you don't have to!

This is a funny and addictive telling of the author's escapades in Ecuador, mainly centred around a somewhat ramshackle wildlife sanctuary. Assuming that every word of it is true, I'm not surprised that Tony was inspired to write a book about it. This is a proper adventure of the type that most of us will never experience. Although frankly I'm not too cut up about that, since Tony himself frequently gets cut up in a number of painful and humiliating ways, the poor sod!

The personalities of the wild animals are as well-drawn as those of the locals and the fellow travellers who come and go. I got a real sense of the Ecuadorian countryside and culture, and felt genuinely transported by the writing. Tony has a gift for self-deprecating humour and often comes out with giggle-worthy turns of phrase. I'd love to see him tackle a fictional story.

This is a very easy to read book, and since it's structured in small chapters almost like a series of very short stories, it's a good one to dip in and out of without getting lost. Recommended.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That Bear Ate My Pants!.