Matt Allen's Reviews > The Days of the French Revolution

The Days of the French Revolution by Christopher Hibbert

Feb 28, 12

Read in February, 2012

Hibbert really likes King Louis and Marie Antoinnette. I can't tell if he's being deliberately contrarian, or if they actually were sympathetic. But if you accept Louis as a good man in the first chapter, he goes on to frustrate you by his complete inability to do anything decisive for the rest of his life. He couldn't even commit to running away.

It took me almost a year to read this book over breakfast burritos at Foxys in Glendale. There were lots of very interesting ideas here, most of which really jumped out at me over Foxy's free coffee refills. Hibbert is a good author, and the first chapter is particularly engaging. But Days suffers from a problem that plagues most histories of this kind: an avalanche of nouns. Not even a timeline, glossary of terms, and extensive maps can clear the air. This isn't the best popular history I've ever read, but worth a look if you're interested in the subject.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Days of the French Revolution.