Kate's Reviews > Anne of Hollywood

Anne of Hollywood by Carol Wolper

Feb 28, 2012

did not like it
Read in February, 2012

So terrible that I checked it out, started reading, started to skim it, and then returned it the very next day because I didn't want it hanging around my house. In fact, when the library's automated returns system glitched and wouldn't accept the book at first, I felt a surge of panic at the prospect of being forced to spend another day with this title hanging around.

I was tempted by this one because I'm interested in the Anne Boleyn story. I think the Anne Boleyn plot, or at least how we conceive of her story these days, is one of those frameworks that you can use and use and use again. Like the plots of Sense and Sensibility or Pride and Prejudice, for instance. And Hollywood seemed like a rich setting for the tale to play out.

Btw, SPOILER, want to know this author's modern analog for the Boleyn beheading? She's forced to return to her old one-bedroom apartment. Which is kind of funny Hollywood satire, but not actually funny in the book, and I think that's a pretty good example of how seriously this was bungled.

Hey, you know what would have been good? If Jane Smiley had done Hollywood Anne Boleyn instead of Hollywood Decameron. OK, I'm done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anne of Hollywood.