Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)'s Reviews > The Silenced

The Silenced by James DeVita

Mar 05, 12

bookshelves: children-young-adult, dystopic, holocaust, 2012
Read from February 28 to March 05, 2012

This book was a little scary. Not in a horror kind of way, but in a that can totally happen again sort of way. It's horrifying, and while you don't see any violence, it's implied that it does happen.

It's narrated by several different people, which works really well for this novel. You get to see the different sides, and how different people react to what's going on. There's an author's note at the end, saying that the book was inspired by a resistance group in Nazi Germany called The White Rose. I wondered if DeVita drew inspiration from the Holocaust, because there were quite a few parallels. But at the same time, it's something I could see happening today, so I guess some things don't really change. Plus, things like closing the border and imbedded data chips make it even more relevant than it already is.

It's very thought-provoking, and you can't help but wonder if you'd be able to fight such a government, or if you'd just go along with it so nothing would to you or your friends and family. Everyone at Marena's "school" wears the same uniform, and they all have short hair. In essence, everything is done to ensure they don't have an identity, and their sole purpose is to do their duty to the government.

I give it a 4 out of 5. It wasn't completely amazing, but still worth reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silenced.