Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > Dead or Alive

Dead or Alive by Tom Clancy

Mar 16, 12

This is another book the drives me to mention that we REALLY need a 10 star or a half star system. I switched back and forth between 3 and 4 stars on this one so often I almost needed Dramamine.

Of course the problem there would have been that when the book lost that 4th star it was because it slooooowed wwwwaaaayyyyy dddooowwwnnn... Since Dramamine makes you drowsy you can see the problem.

The book is well plotted as has been Clancy's record. We're following the characters of Jack Ryan, Jack Ryan Jr., J Clark, Ding Chavez and all the other people from this universe. Jack is no longer president, it's now President Kealty...who's undone as much of what Jack did as he can.

Jack Jr. is now working for the Campus and his parents don't know it. Oh, you don't know what the Campus is???? Well that would be a spoiler so, you know.

The book is on the whole an absorbing interesting read and I like it. The only problem, the only reason it drops from 4 stars to 3.5 is that at times the book just gets so very unnecessarily wordy. Clancy has always been good about giving us what we need to know about whatever is going on. And while I may disagree with some of his viewpoints and opinions (and I do) he's still got a pretty good grasp on geopolitics. Here there are some (as noted) unnecessarily long dialogues and monologues on mmmaaannnyyy things. For example there's a lot of information on dead drops, hand-offs and so on. There's a bit about espionage and it's history...and other stuff. I mentioned this to my daughter and she said it was like Mr. Clancy said "I did this research and you're going to hear about it."

It did seem like that at times.

Anyway the book has a few false starts picking up it's pace and then slowing down. When it does finally pick up it gathers speed and then barrels to the end. Had it been trimmed a bit (maybe the services of a good editor would have helped?) and kept it's pacing a bit better I would have been able to rate it a bit higher.

Still it's a good book. Clancy fans will like it and I think most fans of geopolitical and techno thrillers will also find it a good read. It has a lot of action it's just spread out a bit...as the book climaxes at the end the action does pick up however.

So I can recommend it. 3.5 so, 3.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead or Alive.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph My husband read this on audio recently. Not sure if its the writing or the narrator but he said it was boring. What do you think?

message 2: by Mike (the Paladin) (last edited Mar 07, 2012 10:14AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mike (the Paladin) Just getting ready to start it (I move them to the "currently reading" page when I pick them up from the library because I have to read them and get them back). I know the last couple of Clancy's books have been a bit slower. I'll let you know what I think.