BIPL Reads's Reviews > Wonderland Creek

Wonderland Creek by Lynn Austin

Feb 28, 2012

bookshelves: sofia

A patron tipped me off to Lynn Austin’s Wonderland Creek because the first section includes an animated portrait of Blue Island in 1936. I enjoy researching local history, so I couldn’t resist picking the book up and reading it cover to cover. I would suggest it to anyone in town as an uplifting read.

The story of Wonderland Creek follows Alice Grace, a nose in the book, dreamy Blue Island girl who experiences heartbreak: laid off from the Depression-era Blue Island Public Library and dumped by her boyfriend for putting books before people. Seeking solace, she boldly sets off on a humanitarian mission, delivering donations to a library in Kentucky. What Alice Grace thought was a just an act of goodwill would turn out to be the adventure of her lifetime. It is a rude awakening; however, she embraces all escapades with courage and resilience, becoming a packhorse librarian in the mountains of Kentucky. This book has it all from “murder” and suspense to humor and love. The story even has its own Mrs. Beasley. Wow, how appropriate is this book for our library’s collection!

Lynn Austin gives a wonderful perspective of what life was like in Kentucky during the Great Depression. In those times libraries were (as they continue to be) cheap entertainment for the entire family. I’m fond of this novel because it provides sweet, funny, family-friendly entertainment. It is a book that can be shared and enjoyed by both my 13 year-old daughter and my 75 year-old mother.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonderland Creek.