Lisse's Reviews > The Lorax

The Lorax by Dr. Seuss

Feb 28, 12

Read in February, 2012

In honor of Dr. Seuss week (and at my mom's suggestion (she's an elementary teacher celebrating Seuss week with her students), this is my third Seuss book and so far my favorite of the three. I don't remember the Lorax from when I was a kid. Unlike Seuss' other books, this one, although full of his fun, silly make-believe words and names, does not fill you with smiles or joy. The Lorax is a great take on mistreatment of what nature has provided us. It follows a man who finds trees that provide silk-like material, so he starts to cut them down to create clothing. The Lorax is the speaker for the trees since they can't speak for themselves. He continually warns the man of the harm he is doing by constantly cutting down all the trees, but the man only wants more profit and bigger business. More and more creatures have to abandon their homes due to the pollution of his so mirrors much of our society today. There is a seed of hope at the end of the book, which is nice. I think it's a good call to action for young children...or anyone reading the book. It gives them empowerment.

I am glad with the movie coming out that I have now read the book; I defnitley recommend the book - even if you're an adult! And thanks to my mom for recommending it to me:)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lorax.