Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > Serenity: The Shepherd's Tale

Serenity by Joss Whedon

Sep 15, 12

bookshelves: graphic-novel

I got this because I'm a huge Firefly fan. I loved the series and movie and like I would suppose most fans own the DVDs. This reportedly was a story that would tie up the mysteries about Shepherd Book's background.

If you watched the series this was one of the building plot points that didn't get tied up. The series was canceled (mainly in my opinion because the executives didn't get it. The series had and has a large and loyal following.) during the first series. Book was an interesting character and there were constant "hints" that he'd not always been a "preacher".

The graphic novel did tie up a great deal about Shepherd Book's mystery, but not all ("a" main one "could be" considered to be at least partly answered, but I don't think so. I'll mention it later under a spoiler warning). So for partly tying up this plot point it gets an "okay". As a return visit to the Firefly universe it gets a pat on the back.

Sadly it's got the flaws that cost it (for me any way) a couple of stars. First the point I mentioned...a still not satisfactorily answered question. Then it's got poor art. The art is poor enough that you'll need context to tell who's who in some frames. Too bad. For a graphic novel, art is pretty important.

So, I wish I could go higher as its a subject I'd like to see more of...I'd also like to see it done better.

3 stars.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Serenity.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mohammed (last edited Feb 28, 2012 12:12PM) (new)

Mohammed You think the writing is good enough for die hard fans of Firefly?

About the tv show no wonder it got canceled, i read Fox didnt send the original eps in the right order. They showed the last eps first.....

Mike (the Paladin) I know, but even with that the show was finding its audience. I've seen a lot of science or fantasy programs that vanish with barely a trial. I just think the people in the home office don't get.

As for the writing, I'd say it's more like reading an outline than a complete story. Like I said, it's okay but it could have been a lot better.

message 3: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "I know, but even with that the show was finding its audience. I've seen a lot of science or fantasy programs that vanish with barely a trial. I just think the people in the home office don't get.

..."

Firefly DVD was bestseller in over 40 countries i smiled at that showing how wrong they were. I remember few years ago the DVD sold alot in europe. The cult status made it many people like me saw it years after it was canceled.

Okay writing is good enough for fans like me who will try to read anything with those characters, the same creator.

message 4: by Perelandra (new)

Perelandra Firefly....one of the best ideas in sci-fi television EVER. Thanks for the head's up that there are books. It seems someone could take the universe of Firefly and do great, great things.

Mike (the Paladin) I suppose we Firefly fans will always do the might have been thing...