Bonnie's Reviews > Darker Still

Darker Still by Leanna Renee Hieber

Sep 13, 14

bookshelves: fantasy, ya, historical-fiction, first-in-series
Read from March 18 to 21, 2012

My review: 1.5 of 5 stars

Uhhhhh.....

Final Page Thoughts
Dumb, dumb, dumb! *throws book*

First Thoughts
So here's the story on how I came to obtain this book: I was browsing through the library stacks and I was intrigued by the title and was even more intrigued when I picked it up and saw the cover girl was wearing this gorgeous purple dress. (If you know anything about me, it's that I'm a huge sucker for anything purple). Yep. That's my story. Completely necessary addition to my review, I know.

I start reading it and I'm kind of pleased at how it starts: it's interesting and original sounding and it's written in the form of diary entries. If someone would have told me it was written in the form of diary entries I would've given them a skeptical look and kindly set it aside.

My experience with journal entry-style books have not been pleasant. Plus, I think of how I wrote in my diary when I was a teen: ("Today, I woke up and ate breakfast and then had to take the bus and it was dumb but the day got sooooo much better because Kenny touched my hand when he went to turn his homework in and I'm going to be happy for the rest of this week. I <3 Kenny. Remember not to wash hand.") Note: Not actual diary entry. Maybe. You can understand my glee at realizing these were well written diary entries. Maybe I set the bar a bit low in comparison.

The Not So Pretty
Like I said, I found the journal entries to be interesting but they turned out to be a requirement as I'm not sure how else you'd tell a story from the POV of a girl who has been mute since she was 4 years old. This girl writes in her diary A LOT... but not all of the entries seemed entirely appropriate.
"I've been captured! I know not where I'm going. I'm in a carriage. Heading north, I think. I can write only a quick note."
Uhh... you've been kidnapped and you've decided to write in your diary. I think additional comment is unnecessary.

Obviously you're able to determine from the summary alone that some type of magic-y goodness is involved with lines like 'He was alive. Trapped within his golden frame.' The magic was lacking in goodness in my opinion. The combination of runes, hieroglyphics, dark magic, and elements related to the Saints was definitely original but ended up being a tad far-fetched and basically a big hot mess. And once it really started snowballing there at the end she totally lost me.
'...I called upon that sacred vow granted me as a baby, a vow I renewed now as a woman in this moment, a vow to reject the Devil.' Uhh... sure.

And come on. She's a mute in the real world but she can speak find in picture world.
'I could speak in Denbury's world. It was time I started speaking in this one.'
So she just decides that she wants to speak again? And she does. Sure. That makes PERFECT sense. The way she said it was like she was talking about getting the dishes done, that she's just been a lazy-ass about it, and she's decided she's finally gonna get it done.

The Romance... Oh boy, where to begin. Let's just say I really had a hard time believing their love. Half the book I kept expecting him to turn out to be a big jerk-face who was just using her to help him get out of the portrait, but, okay.. I was wrong. I still didn't feel the legitimacy there. (view spoiler)

Do I need to say I won't be reading the next one? (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darker Still.

03/18/2012 page 57
03/21/2012 page 223
70.0% "I really don't understand how she can be mute almost her entire life and then all the sudden decide she's going to learn how to speak again. How exactly is that believable?" 4 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, what are your thoughts on this one so far, Bonnie? The premise sounds good :)

Bonnie Wellllll.... I originally thought it was good. Just finished. Disliked it. Am disappointed.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, I'm no longer interested. Thanks for the review...

Bonnie haha Glad to help.