Tami's Reviews > A Stopover in Venice

A Stopover in Venice by Kathryn Walker

Mar 02, 2012

Read from February 28 to March 02, 2012

I really enjoyed this book. Although I would have liked to know more about Venice, art history and the italian language to have felt like I was completely part of it. The only problem I had was there were many voices with changing names and jumps between the present/past, so at times it was hard to follow who was being discussed. It is a book that could be read again to fill in what was missed the first time - not a bad thing for a book - the finding of connections that were missed the first time means that I will keep thinking about it for a while.
This book is about recovery from loss - not from death per se - but from loss of any kind and how we must go on living, taking the plunge. My favorite quote was "The challenge must be to come unstuck, resist habit - the same things over and over - to wake up, pay attention, try to face how strange, miraculous and fearful it is, every life, every day. That hurts too, waking up, finding oneself so small and vulnerable, knowing nothing. But suffering holds gifts, rich and mysterious gifts revealed in the dark folds of pain. --- Being alive in inexplicable, a maze of terror and desire."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Stopover in Venice.