Sarah Insomnia's Reviews > Faery Tales & Nightmares

Faery Tales & Nightmares by Melissa Marr

Feb 28, 2012

liked it
Read in February, 2012

Once again, I have to point out that I don't feel confident providing reviews for short stories. I'm too used to novels, and the complaints I have about short stories personally feel more like whining than valid points. But I can say much about this compilation:

First off, I love Melissa Marr. I have since I read "Wicked Lovely" several years back, and while that series started to get a little convoluted with characters and their relationships among one another, her fairies have their very own gritty appeal, similar to those of Holly Black's.

But I have to say, this compilation of short stories... confused me. I have mixed feeling about each of them individually, but as a whole, I'm still not sure what to make of them. The stand-alones that mimicked folk tales didn't seem to have any resolutions; they felt like chapters out of a book that I'll never get to read. Maybe that was the author's intent, to just leave them hanging, but it kind of bothered me.

The short stories that served as companions to the Wicked Lovely series also perplexed me a little, since they all occurred after each specific book in the serious as bridge-stories. For he ones thqat bridged the more recent books, I found them easy enough to follow, but those from the earlier books... I had to remember what was going on, before certain events that occurred in later books, which was difficult since it's been years since I read the first few books in the series. And, honestly, most of what they contained felt like pure filler- much ado about nothing. Again, though, maybe that was the author's intent.

I can't say I'm sorry I read this book- it was entertaining, and filled in the blanks of the Wicked Lovely series. But I have to say I was constantly thrown off by the time lapses, garnished with stand-alone short stories in between. Maybe the organization of the stories would've made a difference?
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faery Tales & Nightmares.