Jim's Reviews > The Kennedy Detail: JFK's Secret Service Agents Break Their Silence

The Kennedy Detail by Gerald Blaine

Mar 02, 12

bookshelves: history
Read from February 28 to March 02, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kennedy Detail.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim It seems like I'm on a JFK roll lately. I finished Stephen King's 11/22/63 a couple of weeks ago, which sparked me to read The Kennedy Detail. Written by a member of the Secret Service's Kennedy Detail, it covers the three years of JFK's administration. The agents seem to have great admiration, respect and affection for John and Jacqueline Kennedy and their children. There's no salacious material here - just an very upclose and personal look at the men assigned to protect the Kennedys 7/24 and the aftermath of the assassination.
The most interesting and emotional part of the book concerns the assassination and events until JFK was laid to rest in Arlington.
The last part covers what happened to the agents over the next 40+ years. Especially telling is the story of Jackie's bodyguard, Clint Hill.
As someone who was in high school the day Kennedy was shot, I've always had an interest in the assassination and the conspiracy theories surrounding it. The Kennedy Detail addresses the conspiracy theories and has a definite opinion about them.
I heartily recommend this book to anyone interested in the Kennedys and that period of history. It's a non-fiction book that at times reads like a thriller.